Thursday, August 02, 2018

New Mystery Quilt

My motto is - "there is no such thing as starting too many quilting projects"!
There I said it.
Yes I have many many quilt projects on the go, and some really old UFOs, and some very large closets for WIPs. 
That is all true and still... I start more!
Last week I attended a mystery quilt class with Deb Beirnes. My local blog readers know that she used to teach the "Ladies of the Evening" mystery class at Reichards (20072008, 200920102011).  We used to show up at the quilt store after work on a Friday, and Deb had a fantasy quilt land set up for us ... a delicious homemade supper (she shared the recipes too), a new project to sew with a sample quilt she created for inspiration, and all the fabrics pre-chosen, and organized for us. All we had to do was relax and sew something awesome!
Well, fast forward to this summer when my friend Debby convinced our teacher Deb to do this for us again for old time's sake. We were invited to sew at Deb's personal studio for the day. Just look at this package that Deb made for each of the students... everything pre-chosen, organized and pre-cut for us! 



Me with our teacher Deb

All we had to do was just sit and sew, and enjoy the day with friends. 
I brought along Lucy my 1953 long bed Singer 301 and she was a trooper. There was a little bit of a pressure foot tension issue making my seams wobbly at the beginning, but I was able to adjust the pressure and she sewed like a dream.

But wait, there's more...
Deb also made us a delicious home cooked meal, roast beef, mashed potatoes and gravy, with fresh corn and salad ... oh my it was amazing! AND her husband cleared up and wash dishes! For someone like me who is always the one doing these chores, to have someone else do them for you is just heavenly beyond words. 













Here is Deb on the left and her 5 happy students with finished quilt tops. Not only do we have a great project, we also have wonderful memories of a special day spent with quilting friends!

18 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Sound like a heavenly day!

Deb A said...

That sounds like so much fun!

Linda C said...

And no UFO,no WIP, just quilt that Baby and she is done!

Deanna W said...

Always fun spending time with quilty friends and having a man servant is heavenly for sure!!

Mary said...

What a great deal! Your quilts look awesome. Better than ever, you got the Royal treatment. Sew happy you got your 301 figured out. I love mine.

Sandik said...

I can't even imagine how much fun this was for the group. Walk in and be pampered. You have a wonderful friend.

Needled Mom said...

That really sounds like a fun event.

Louise said...

Wow, what a great set up! Dinner, conversations, precut fabrics...who could ask for anything more? :)

Janice Holton said...

That really does sound like a quilters paradise! No cutting, no cleaning, just eating and sewing? And those kits she put together for you guys are so fun! What a great time! It's nice to see what you look like too!

maggie fellow said...

oh wow - what a wonderful time and quilt- thanks for sharing

Lisa J. said...

That's awesome Kathy. I as just going to sit down and write about a throwback Thursday quilt from when she did a workshop at the guild.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Wonderful, every part of it. What great memories.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Before reading about the event, I wondered how you all ended up with the same fabrics. Make total sense now... lucky bunch!!

Wendy said...

I want to live where you do so I can go have fun with. You girls!

audrey said...

Looks like a lot of fun! I know what you mean about starting new projects. There's always gonna be another and then another.:)

gayle said...

Wow - you and I have the same motto! 8)
Looks like a wonderful quilt party, and you ended up with a quilt to remember it by! Perfect!

Janet O. said...

What a delightful retreat--just show up, have everything ready and waiting, AND someone else cooks and does the dishes!! A win all around!

Kate said...

Sounds like a very fun and productive day.