Thursday, May 24, 2018

Wish Upon A Star Quilt

It's my day to post my star quilt for the blog hop. Thank you for dropping by! My project is made of orphan blocks from 3 different block swaps from many years ago. The blocks were sitting in a project box in the UFO closet until Carol suggested making something with a star on it. Hey... I have some stars in the closet! 
"Make a Wish"

The top star blocks are 6", the middle nine blocks are 12" and the bottom stars are 9". It was a challenge to figure out how to combine 3 different block sizes, and along the way there were a few creative possibilities using layouts that made the quilt way too big. I wanted to make a donation sized quilt, so this layout came out to the right size at 45" x 60".

quilting on a 12" star block

All the free motion quilting was done on my Brother 1500 domestic sewing machine. The quilting design is mostly loops and stars, with some curved arcs in some of the star blocks. 





Pinocchio inspiration





Around the outside border I quilted the lyrics from the song  "When you wish upon a star(which won the 1940 Academy Award for best original song) from the Disney movie called Pinocchio

"When you wish upon a star
Makes no difference who you are
Anything your heart desires
Will come to you"





Beginning border quilting
This song just makes me feel happy, and I played it on Spotify repeat until the border quilting was done! I even found the kids' old Pinocchio video to take a photo of with the finished quilt!




quilt back

I'm so happy that these blocks have finally become a finished quilt. Not a single fabric was purchased for the quilt top and the binding strips were leftover pieces in the navy scrap box.
Here is a photo of the back of the quilt. It used up 5 pieces of fabric that were in a bundle on sale for $10 at Creative SistersThat's a great deal for a backing! 
Hopefully you had some time to visit the other blogs on the hop and enjoy the wonderful star quilts that have been created (complete list here).  
Here are the other blogs to visit today:
May 24

Thanks to Carol for organizing another fun blog hop for us to enjoy!

47 comments:

Unknown said...

That quilt looks amazing! I have a Brother too, I'm so glad someone else can FMQ on their domestic, instead of sending it out to a longarm.

Lisa J. said...

Kathy this quilt turned out so beautifully. The yellow cornerstones tie the two rows of stars together. I think the quilt is more interesting for the fact that the rows of stars are not the same....and also because there is colour variation in the stars themselves. Its just gorgeous!

Dorian said...

You did a great job putting all those stars together. Love the back too.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Very nice Kathy...love that back

Elizabeth Coughlin said...

I love all the different stars, you did a fantastic job!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Perfect words for the border of your quilt and encouraging for the recipient too!

Ariane said...

Your quilt looks amazing. You would never know that these were orphan blocks. The layout is perfect.

Stitchin At Home said...

A beautiful quilt from orphan blocks!

Louise said...

Super orphans, all playing so nicely together! I love the inspirational words along the edge. It's perfect for donating to someone who needs comfort and hope :)

allthingzsewn said...

A job very well done. A person would never know they were orphan blocks. I too have a Brother and free motion small projects with it. The larger quilts hurt my hands after a short time. Your quilting is great, a well rounded project.

Rose Marie said...

What a terrific job and a great way to use those orphans! Love the idea about the wording. Someone will love that quilt.

Denise @fortheloveofgeese said...

I certainly hope my orphan block quilt turns out as nice as yours. Mine are piling up.

Carol Swift said...

What a great finish on your star quilt...it looks amazing, Kathy! I love the quilting you did on it, too, and to add the words to the song was a wonderful idea. I'm so glad you joined in for the hop and were able to finish this beautiful quilt. Thanks for sharing your star quilt with us. Can you guess what song is now rolling around in my head? LOL

Suze said...

What a great inspiration for finishing a quilt! You not only used orphan blocks from one but also two projects. I love how all the stars came together. I would never have dreamed of such a great quilt. Thanks for participating and the awesome inspiration.

DebbieM said...

Amazing quilt! Love that you used fabric that you had in your stash!!

Calicojoan said...

What a wonderful way to get those stars out of the closet. That backing is incredible the way it went together. I love it!

Turid said...

Thanks for this great inspiration. I love stars.

Lori said...

your quilt is amazing. I love that you wrote/sewed the song on the side. that makes it so happy. and that you gave it away. so cool. thank you for sharing and inspiring.

Needled Mom said...

That is so pretty and your quilting looks wonderful on it.

Sherry said...

That is a simply beautiful quilt! It's amazing how you got everything to fit together perfectly. I really love the quilting. That part is so intimidating to me. I guess I need to learn to practice.

Mary said...

It turned out Great. Not at all what I expected. Glad to see the finished quilt. Now you can wish upon a Star and take a nap.

AnnieO said...

Such a great combo of blocks! Good on you for clearing out leftovers to create such a charming quilt.

LJ said...

Just love your quilt and all the 'savings' you did to create it. "Yes" for moving UFOs to finished!

Karen said...

The setting you used pulled everything together. It could have been a big challenge to make all go together in such a pleasing look.

Tracy @It’s a T-Sweets Day! said...

Beautiful quilt and post Kathy! I love that pretty song too! May all of your dreams come true❤️❤️ Tracy@ it’s a T-Sweets Day! Itsatsweetsday.blog

Carla said...

Congratulations on your finish and taking advantage of the hop to pull those awesome star blocks and putting them together. Your quilt is gorgeous.

Janet O. said...

Great use of what you had on hand, and you brought them together into a cohesive design for a wonderful donation quilt. I love that you quilted the words to that song in the border.

Anna brown said...

Very very cool ty for sharing your thoughts and ideas.. happyness04431@yahoo.com

Scrapatches said...

Wonderful use of all those swap star blocks! Beautiful quilting! The backing is also wonderful. Thank you for sharing in the hop ... :-) Pat

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Great use of all of those different blocks, and your quilting is fabulous. Love your backing too.

Lyndsey said...

Great use of those blocks and I love the finished quilt.

Ivani said...

Great use of orphan blocks, your quilting is beautiful and I love this song.

OhioLori said...

Love Love Looove your quilt!! Beautiful job!! :)

Anita said...

Great way to use orphan star blocks, your quilt is beautiful!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

What a gorgeous quilt and all that quilting on it. I love the words especially; I am still trying to write my name!!

tink's mom said...

Love the new life you gave these blocks. Great idea for the quilting of your borders. Well done.

Sharon said...

Beautiful! Love the stars, the quilting, the borders. Someone will cherish this labor of love!

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

It's turned out just beautifully! I love how you managed to get all the start blocks of different sizes together - they look like they were made to be together like that! Love your quilting too :) xx

Kaja said...

I really like the idea of quilting the song words into this - and that you have used up all those different blocks.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Kathy it's beautiful! :)

barbara woods said...

love your quilt

Nancy J said...

This is a beauty, and to have those words in your quilt, extra special.

Quilt Doodle Designs said...

Your quilting is beautiful, love the stars

Susan said...

That is a beauty, both front and back, Kathy! What a wonderful quilt, and practically free. LOL

Tu-Na Quilts said...

Great post and great quilt! Good idea to use some UFO blocks in hiding for the hop. Just goes to show that there is beauty "hiding" everywhere.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Nice quilt. I have star blocks from a Treadle On exchange, a few years ago. One of these days I'll turn them into a quilt.

Susan said...

Beautiful stars - love the variety!