Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Machine Quilting the Broken Dishes

Since finishing the quilting for my Wish Upon a Star blog hop quilt (drop by on Thursday to see the big finish!) and the Rainbow Scrap Challenge project I was working on, you would think I was quilted out. But no! 
I immediately started right in on quilting the Broken Dishes quilt. I did quite a bit of stitch-in-the-ditch quilting to start. I also used the Hera Marker to make some straight lines to stitch in open spaces. The Hera Marker just makes a crease in the fabric to stitch on and although I love it, the lighting has to be very bright for me to be able to see the lines made by this tool. It's wonderful for quilting on white fabrics where you don't want to worry about removing marks made from pencils, pens, or other markers.


Then I switched to the free motion foot and started making some curved lines in the blocks. It was really fun making it up as I go along. I didn't have a quilting plan in mind from the start. I just did the next interesting thing that came into my mind, one step at a time.
I'm now wondering about quilting feathers around this block or stitching more parallel straight lines. I am reminding myself there is not "one right answer" that I am in search of. There are lots of good ideas, and I just have to pick one to try. The quilt will tell me right away if it doesn't like my idea!
Linking up to Let's Be Social!

It's day two of the Wish Upon A Star blog hop. Here is the line up for today...enjoy!
May 22


9 comments:

Louise said...

That's a great way to quilt a piece, spontaneously! Hera markers are great, but you're right about the lighting. It can be a squinty process :)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have heard so much about the herra marker and do not have one - I will pick one up one day. I like the way you do your free motions - going with the design of the quilt - I really do need to practice one day on my new machine and see if I I can do it on this one whereas the last machine I couldn't get the hang of it.

Mary said...

Looks good. I haven’t used a Hera marker. Hoping to get Betsy loaded this week with my OMG.

Deanna W said...

You certainly are a busy beaver! Getting all this work done. I wish I could say the same...work it getting done just not the quilty variety! Missed slow stitching sunday (check my Tuesday post)but will catch up with you next week!

barbara woods said...

love that star

AnnieO said...

I have two of the Hera markers, love them for marking long or short lines, but not too many ahead of the stitching plan or the crease fades, as you pointed out. You're doing a great job on the quilting. Such pretty reds.

Lisa in Port Hope said...

Usually i like to take a break from quilting between projects, although that can be dangerous since I just make more quilt tops! Enjoy your stitching

Barb said...

great quilt design.
happying quilting

Susan said...

And those look like more stars, the way you put them together. =)