I am teaching an improv piecing class in Paris (in Ontario, not France!) on Saturday and am getting all my samples out of the closet. I decided that I really wanted to have my Scrap Vortex finished to show the students. It's one of my favourite quilts and it demonstrates how you can use crumbs, scraps and letters to make an "interesting" quilt.
I started this quilt in June 2015 and this is how it looked when it came out of the UFO closet this week.
I still loved it, and particularly loved that the 'S' in SCRAP turned out to look not as bright as the rest of the word. That's seredipidy!
However, I really wanted to have the word 'vortex' in the quilt, so I pieced the letters, surrounded them with scraps, cut the quilt top in half and inserted the vortex strip.
Here it is...
Definitely not serendipity!
The R's cannot be right above each other! That just didn't look like how I had envisioned it!
Out came the seam ripper, and the quilt top was dissected again!
I inserted a scrappy strip between the words.
But there are a few things that need to be changed so I can like it more. And a great border idea popped into my mind, so this project isn't close to being a finished quilt top yet! But it's ready for a road trip to Paris on Saturday!
Linking up to Cynthia's Oh Scrap! party!