Wednesday, March 08, 2017

Happy International Women's Day



March 8th is International Women's Day


I started celebrating early by attending a women's march last Saturday with one of my sisters. It was a sunny but very cold day, and we were happy to be part of efforts to raise awareness of the need for a more inclusive, gender equal world. Forecasts for gender parity are now at about a 170 year wait for Canadian women. 

Tonight I'll be celebrating the achievements of women by making a few more blocks for my 150 Canadian Women project. I love reading the histories of these inspiring women and what they have accomplished.
Here are my first 30 blocks.
51 block patterns have already been posted for this project, so I'm a little bit behind.




This was the most challenging block so far - a 6" card trick pattern. This history lesson was about Henrietta Tuzo the first Canadian woman mountaineer. If she can climb mountains, surely I can sew a little quilt block without complaining!

Happy International Women's Day! 

3 comments:

Kate said...

Happy International Woman's Day! I wish we didn't need such a day, somethings have changed a lot, some haven't.

Deanna W said...

Oh my do you and your sister look alike!!! Girl power!!!

Janet O. said...

Women have surely come a long way, but there is still a long uphill climb.
Your blocks look wonderful, but I have to say, that is certainly the hard way to make a "card tricks" block. Much simpler to make it with squares on point and setting triangles. Maybe this was an IQ test or something. : )