Saturday, June 14, 2014

Quilt Canada 2014

Another great day at Quilt Canada yesterday! 
I took a class with Cheryl Arkison and I will write more about that later when I get better photos of the class blocks in the second day of the class today.
The most annoying thing to me about Quilt Canada is that you can't take any photos at the Juried Show. It is really hard for me, and I missed my camera as an extension of myself while experiencing the quilts. Does that sound weird? I saw amazing techniques, and great colour combinations, and incredible quilts, but most of that information is already lost in my fading memory. They want you to buy a show catalogue, but what I want to remember is the details of the quilting and the techniques. I saw some amazing thread work and wish I could remember it to try it at home.
We were permitted to take photos at the F.A.N. exhibit, so I will show you my favorite quilt there.
Everyone, meet Izzie...


This is a quilt by Donna Bray-Zakreski called "Strong, Calm and Fearless". I love the description of the quilt, the use of colour, and mostly I love the texture created by the dense machine quilting.


Here is a close up photo:
I have never quilted anything so densely but I just love the effect!
Last night I attended a lecture from Judy Coates Perez, which was very inspiring on a personal and professional level. Her work is visually amazing from a distance, but up close it is unbelievable. You just can't not touch her quilts...and she lets you!! 
Okay... I'm off to my last day of classes and hope to be able to post another update tonight!

17 comments:

Chantal said...

Thank you Kathy for introducing Izzy to us. She definitively is something else. WOW!! . Imagine the amount of hours just for quilting that one!!! Amazing!!

scraphappy said...

Sounds like you are having a great time. It is too bad you can't take photos, but you still have the experience to enjoy.

Jean said...

That's the best part of going to a show, seeing all the magnificent work. THis gecko is so beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Jean said...

That's the best part of going to a show, seeing all the magnificent work. THis gecko is so beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Jean said...

That's the best part of going to a show, seeing all the magnificent work. THis gecko is so beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Terri said...

I make notes - draw out designs that I want to remember... usually doesn't help though.
And here they allow you to touch the paper on the sides to pull back the quilt to see the back. Some shows provide gloves to wear when touching, some have docents that touch for you.
The lizard is amazing. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs

Lesley said...

Sounds like you are having a great time at Quilt Canada. I guess your memory will have to go in overdrive to remember everything that you saw at the quilt show! Izzy is truly amazing!

Nana said...

Thanks for sharing, both items shared here are amazing. Enjoy and learn during your last day.

Teresa in Music City said...

Thanks for sharing what you can of your experience! That lizard quilt is nothing short of AMAZING!!! I admire those who can create such beauty from nothing more than a sewing machine, creativity and thread!

Anonymous said...

Kathy....I was very complimented by your statement that "Izzie" was your favourite FAN quilt and complimented that you chose to have her on your blog. I enjoyed doing all the painting and all of the quilting. It was truly a labour of love. Cheers...Donna

Rebecca in AK said...

Amazing quilting on Izzie!! The other quilt was very graceful! Bothe unique and beautiful!

Jen said...

At least CQA has posted photos of all of the ribbon-winners from the juried show. They are here.

I thought it was strange that they banned photos and actually complained about it. They said that the issue was copyright of the quilt designs (i.e., fear that the design will be copied) but that doesn't make sense if they sell a catalogue with photos of all of the quilts.

(This is Jennifer from the improv class. I don't have a blog but I'm jenniferjohnston80 on Instgaram and jenjohnston on Flickr.)

Kate said...

What you can show is absolutely gorgeous. Hope your classes have been fun and useful.

Nell's Quilts said...

The quilting on the iguana makes it so life like. Wow! Wish I had gone but unfortunately I just couldn't squeeze it in this week. I'm so glad to hear you are enjoying the quilting sessions. Looking forward to seeing your work from the classes.

Mary said...

You have to take mental pictures and get out your Sketch pad asap to save the ideas for you to remember. I don't quilt as dense as some do either.

margaret said...

sounds like you are having a great time, what a bore not allowing photos, such a shame. The quilting is amazing

Ellen said...

It is unfortunate that you were not able to take all of the photos that you wanted to. I am glad you were able to get Izzie's photo - she is amazing!!