Monday, June 16, 2014

Design Wall Monday - Improv

On the design wall today are my blocks from the 2 day class I took with Cheryl Arkison at Quilt Canada. I did not purchase any fabric at all for my classes - just took my batik scraps and sewed up the leftovers.

The 12" blocks are in the order they were made. The two wonky log cabins were first. Great block, easy to make, and eats up lots of scraps! I plan to make more of those for sure....maybe a whole quilt of them!
The second row on the left is a slab block. That might be my favorite one to make. It uses up a lot of tiny little pieces.
On the right is a criss-cross block. I don't love it, and might add another few criss-crosses to cut down on the pinkness.
Then the letter Q surrounding the heart... that block is going to have some major reconstruction to reduce the pinkness or maybe it's going to be the quilt label on the back!
The wonky curve blocks were easier to sew than I had thought they would be. The hardest part was deciding on a layout for the 9 blocks.
On the bottom left is another slab block. It was made primarily from fabric scraps that were left for me in the bathroom in the residence with a note that said "these are for you - I know you love scraps!" I called that block the "Bathroom Fabric Fairy Block". 
On the bottom right is two 6" star blocks - one light star on darks, and one dark star on lights. They might become the centers for log cabin blocks.
So that's a lot of pieces used up from my scrap box! I am inspired to keep sewing more blocks and have lots of ideas for blocks that I didn't have time to sew in class. So fun!
To see more design wall postings, hop over to Patchwork Times.

15 comments:

Lesley said...

Looks like a wonderful time of learning and having fun!

Angie said...

I still can't decide if I like making improv blocks or not. Yours look amazing and inspiring!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your blocks look great - you did well not to purchase new fabric but to use what you had!

Terri said...

Nice variety of blocks and colors! Enjoyed seeing them. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs

Judy D in WA said...

Looks and sounds like lots of fun! Can't wait to see more blocks. I think the Q block will make a great label.

Judy D in WA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary said...

Yea for using up your scraps. You had a great time at the Quilt Cananda. Lucky you to have a scrap Fabric fairy while you were there too. Hahaha

Janet O. said...

That is so funny about the bathroom scrap fairy! : )

Rhonda said...

Workshops and classes are so much fun. I see you really enjoyed yourself!!

Rebecca in AK said...

Lots of fun scrappy blocks!! I am not a pink fan either. I like the Log Cabin and the Star blocks best I think. You took some great classes!

Kate said...

Very fun scrappy blocks. I like your pink blocks, they make a nice resting place in between all the other scrappy blocks.

Teresa in Music City said...

OMG! I'm laughing SO HARD about the Bathroom Fairy!!! I'm really loving how all these blocks are coming together - and all from scraps - woohoo!!! I'm with you on all that pink - it could use some taming down, but I really love the idea of the block! :)

margaret said...

just shows what lovely blocks can be made form scraps, very nice indeed

Gina said...

love the blocks. I think the criss cross is fine as it is. If you add it to a quilt you might find it reduces the pinkiness xx

Chantal said...

Great work Kathy. In each post you wrote about the Conference, I could read the energy and fun you were having. With lovely results, I might add. I know there was a lot of people you wanted to meet and talk to and yet you took the time to post and I just want to say... Thanks for sharing it all with us. I appreciate it.