Sunday, September 03, 2023

Slow Sunday Stitching - 1 Finish and 2 Starts

Welcome to the weekly hand stitching party!

This is the time of year when everyone around here says "can you believe the summer is over?" The weather here was perfect for me this summer - mostly not too hot, with lots of sunny days, and lots of rain. The grass was green all summer, we didn't get the usual city-issued water ration warnings, and there were no brown-outs from lack of electricity due to a high need for air conditioning.  

I am very happy to announce that I finished the  "Blooms, Bees & the Bluebird" stamp. It makes me smile to remember how optimistic I was (as I always am with new beginnings!) about starting and finishing a spring project IN the spring time! LOL 

Here is my finished Spring Stamp SAL.


I love, love, love, super love this stitchery and have an idea to turn it into a wallhanging. Thank you to Melisa for this wonderful design! 
Can you guess how many Xs I made on this project?
Precisely 5,944! Impressive if I do say do myself!

And you know what a finished project means?!?!

Yes - a new start! I started another bird stitchery of course! This pattern is called Strawberry Faire by October House Fiber Arts. It was planned for my summer project to stitch during strawberry season, but I missed that window of time. It was also a SAL with Helen D last winter which is where I first saw the project. 

I ordered the chart and threads from Cobweb Corner as Helen recommended. These supplies were expensive enough to send to Canada, so I didn't order the recommended linen. But I did get the hand dyed threads. I'm glad I tried them as I've only tried 1 skein of Weeks Dye Works thread before and I was curious. I am very happy to go back to my regular DMC which feels slightly smoother, is much cheaper, easier to store, and is easy to colour match perfectly. 


For the stitching fabric,  I just tea dyed a piece of old 14 count aida cloth. The top is the piece I'm using, and the bottom is the original cloth.



And here is the bird already finished! So pretty! 
This photo is called "a bird and a guard dog!!
I enjoyed a couple of days away and soaked up the last wonderful days of August. Some of the leaves are already starting to fall.


My second start is a knitted washcloth for my first grand nephew. He is coming at Christmas and we are very excited! I am using the seed stitch heart pattern again as I really enjoy knitting this pattern.




And that's it for me this week! What are your hands creating? We love to see your slow progress and hope you will link up below. 


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

14 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Congratulations on finishing the Spring cc project. It will make a lovely wall hanging! Happy stitching!

Jenny said...

Beautiful stitching and I love the start you are making on the new wash cloth.

Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

Your bird stamps are darling!

For storage on silks and fancy flosses, I use the little Zip close "Floss Away" bags and the large rings. Sorted by maker and then alphabetic by color name.

Kate said...

Your spring stitch along piece turned out beauitfully. Enjoy both of your new hand projects.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Spring Stamp turned out beautifully, Kathy! I'm so impressed that you know how many stitches are in it. I love the Strawberry Faire design, too. I'm not sure I could see to stitch on 30 count cloth, lol, so I'll stick with 14 count! Enjoy your stitching today!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Wonderful cross stitching! I am starting a wool applique today, something for fall.

Chantal said...

Spring Stamps is beautiful, Kathy. Looking forward to seeing the wall hanging it will become. Enjoy! ;^)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I wish summer was about over here but still hot and dry - we need cooler weather and rain!

CathieJ said...

Congrats on the Spring finish. It will make a beautiful wall hanging. I like your next project. The pattern on the strawberry is interesting. That washcloth is pretty.

Karrin Hurd said...

Congratulations on a beautiful Spring SAL! Love the washcloth!

The Cozy Quilter said...

I don’t think I want to know how many stitches are in some of the projects I have made…
The spring sampler will be all ready to display next spring! The new stitching project is intriguing…can’t wait to see more.

Deb A said...

Your spring sampler turned out beautifully! Great job. Have fun with the new projects!

Debbie said...

Always good to have goals! Love your sweet Spring finish. I am always amazed how long it takes me to cross stitch a piece...I always think every pattern with be so quick...and then I make a mistake...and then another. That re-stitching business is what makes it take so long for me.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Your Spring Stamp Sampler is just beautiful, Kathy .I am so honored and touched that you stitched it. Thank you so much. You certainly brightened my day. The October House Strawberry Faire is looking amazing. It is on my to do list too. Have a great week.