Saturday, September 16, 2023

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year!

It's Fall Fair time! Usually I judge at several fairs, and enter in 2 or 3 other fairs. But due to time constraints this year I'm not entering any quilts or photographs, and am only judging at 4 fairs.

I really do enjoy the cognitive workout that the judging process forces my brain to do.  Yesterday I made 231 decisions (77 judging categories with first, second and third place ribbons)! 

One of the best things about judging is the privilege of seeing beautiful and inspiring hand made items. Here are some vintage embroidered tea towels that have been kept in good condition.


And look at this crocheted pillowcase edge - the lady has a full 3D skirt!



This was a framed piece of embroidery with a well documented history. It reminded me of the importance of getting labels on my own projects.

It is always so inspiring to see beautiful hand stitching. I did feel a surge in my desire to get out my own hand stitching projects and put in some stitches!

This is a photo of my friend Gayle judging the baking entries. She was deciding on first, second, and third place ribbons for chocolate cake. I was lucky enough to be consulted as a fellow judge. They were all delicious, but one was a clear winner!


It takes a village of committed people to hold a community event like this. The pandemic shut down all of these events, but thankfully many communities are bouncing back and resuming these events. So a big "thank you" to the entrants, the organizers, the sponsors, the volunteers, and the fair goers for keeping this tradition alive.


5 comments:

Kate said...

The 3d skirt on that pillowcase is pretty impressive. Hope you enjoy the rest of the fairs. It sounds like you've got a lot of judging to do!

Deanna W said...

I entered our fair this year and did quite well. Did baking which was a bad idea. I should just stick to doing cafts

Jenny said...

Thank you so much for showing these beautiful treasures. What fun to see all the entries at the fair.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Oh wow, Kathy 4 fairs . You are going to stay busy this time of the year. I know you come home filled with inspiration and ideas. Have a great weekend.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Beautiful hand work! Kudos and thank you to you, without judges we couldn't have our fun fair competitions.