Tuesday, May 31, 2022

May Mini Quilt

My May mini emerged from a bag of cut off corners which most people throw in the trash. Fabric trash is my treasure! 
For size comparison I took a photo of the bobbin with the block - the HST is 1" finished, and the sashing strips were cut 1" and finish at .5".


I decided to use an on point layout, which is a little tricky, so I keep the blocks right beside the sewing machine and return each sewn piece to the layout as I go. In theory this practice decreases piecing errors!

This is a photo of the entire quilt under the needle sewing the last seam. I just love this Featherweight sewing machine with her perfect stitch, pretty decals, and soft hum.

The machine quilting design is simple straight lines with the walking foot. I used 2 different  green threads and had a brilliant plan of how to alternate the colours to add another design element, and then I forgot the brilliant plan, got mixed up as I was quilting, and just finished the quilting in the dark green thread. LOL - typical me!


Here is "Daffodil Fields" with a finished size of  9.25" x 12".

This quilt uses up some  leftover eucalyptus batting and it quilted up beautifully with a little bit of loft. Some people have asked me it the batting has a smell, and there is no odour that I can detect. Perhaps there will be some odour when washing it, but I haven't done that yet.

Come check out the other May mini quilts at The Constant Quilter.

14 comments:

Janet O. said...

A delightful little finish, Kathy. And the name is so fitting. Nice use of your little leftovers. Can you believe people actually throw those away??!? Horrors! LOL

loulee said...

Oh my, that is adorable.

Angie said...

I love it - all those cool greens make a refreshing quilt! And now I'm inspired to use my FW for one of the next minis!

Kyle said...

Sweet tiny mini. The colors and name fit together perfectly.

Linda Schiffer said...

I've never even _heard_ of eucalyptus batting! What brand is it and where did you buy it? How does it compare in performance to cotton or wool (the two I use most of the time:)

: ) Linda

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Wow, that's teeeeeeeny! Super cute finish.

Nancy said...

What a sweet little quilt, Kathy. I sometimes have to do as you did, laying each block back in place before sewing the next. The pale green background is a spectacular color!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

It is wonderful! What a unique pattern. I love the soft greens. Perfect for Spring! Thanks for another great mini!!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

What a great finish! What do you do with all the minis that you make?

Cathy said...

I too save those corner pieces. I love what you have done with yours. Great quilt. Hugs

Miaismine said...

Wow! Such beauty in a small package. Thank you for sharing your tips as you went along!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Such a sweet mini, Kathy. Those HST are teeny. Fabulous fabrics as well. Happy quilting.

Preeti said...

I laughed at "In theory" it reduces errors :-D The result is a very large...ahem mug rug :-D I have saved cut corners and made zippered pouches on more than one occasion.

Tazzie said...

Kathy, I love your mini quilt, that is such an imaginative use of scraps, I never would have thought of that! It's beautiful!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)