Thursday, October 22, 2015

UFO Quilting Update

All the straight line quilting is done on my October UFO! Phew... that was tough going for a while. But it's done now, and I have moved on to free motion quilting in the border. I found a very pretty slightly variegated lime green Aurifil thread that is just perfect.

Border quilting is the time when you get to see just how well you did with adding your borders, pin basting and overall quilting. If you have done a good job, the quilt will lay nice and flat, and there will be no ruffles in the border fabric. If you have a bit of excess fabric, you can try to smooth it out and quilt it more densely in those places where there are ruffles. So far this quilt is laying quite flat and all is well.
I don't know if you can see the stitching in this terrible photo, but I am quilting around the swirls in the print.
So far, so good.
One side down and three to go. I have been carefully pacing myself because of my sore back, but it's looking like this old UFO might be finished by the end of the month!
Hop over to Jo's to see how other quilters are progressing with their Bonnie Hunter finishes.

14 comments:

Kathy's A Quilter said...

Love this Easy Street. Mine is next on my UFO list as well. Thanks for the inspiration.

Julianne said...

Very nice! Looks great!

Janet O. said...

Closing in on a finish! Good for you--and smart to pace yourself to spare your back.
If you really miss working on Easy Street when you finish, I can send mine your way. : )

AnnieO said...

Yay for closer to a finish! I have a bunch of tops needing that kind of attention

scraphappy said...

Looking good! Your perseverance is sure to be rewarded with a UFO crossed off the list. Beautiful bright and happy colors.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Hooray! for getting an old UFO out of the cupboard and transforming it into a completed quilt. Looking forward to seeing the finished project!!

Ivani said...

Looks like those swirl were there just for you quilting around them. You are one step closer to the goal!

Needled Mom said...

That looks great. Pretty thread!

Nell's Quilts said...

Looks good from what I see! Nice bright colours.

Gina said...

Looks great so far. Keep taking care of your back. Little and often should see you done rather than risk a long session xx

Deanna W said...

Love that lime green fabric. I put some of that into a quilt for my daughter a few years ago. Take care of that back but you have a whole week before the end of the month so no problem!!

Cathy said...

Almost there.......... You’ll feel so good when you get it done. Such a great accomplishment.

Angie in SoCal said...

Isn't it exciting to be getting near the finish of a UFO? I have an Easy Street, too. You've inspired me to get out mine and finish the one block I need to finish and get it to the want to be quilted stage. Thanks for sharing, Kathy.

Kate said...

Looks like you made good progress. Hope your back gets better soon.