Thursday, October 08, 2015

Two tips for boredom prevention

I have started machine quilting "Easy Street" - which is not at all easy due to the size of it. The hardest part is quilting in the centre, which is where I always start.
These are some of the threads I am starting with. I like to use different colours of threads, especially when the quilting design is boring. And because I am stitching-in-the-ditch (which really means somewhere near the ditch) I am frequently bored. 
Tip #1 -  change the thread colour whenever you start to feel bored with the quilting. The thread sits in (or near) the ditch/seam line so you can barely see it anyway, so why not use up those almost empty thread spools.

Tip #2 - as you are quilting, visit with the fabrics as you pass by. 
I like to remember when and where I bought special fabrics, and who was with me at the time. Not all fabrics have a memory for me. Some were given to me in scrap bags or were purchased here and there on days that have no lasting significance.
But some are very special...


See that fabric to the left of the needle? It says "www.hancocks-paducah".
Guess where I bought that?!? It was purchased during my first big trip to the USA to see a quilt show in 2009. Click here for some blog memories.



And see that green fabric to the left of the needle? This was purchased at a stop on the way to my second trip to a USA quilt show in 2011....
I bought it at Keepsake Quilting in New Hampshire
It's one of my favourite fabrics of all time... blah, blah, blah. I have it in green, and in black on white, and it always makes me smile.



See that purple fabric to the left of the needle? That was one of the guild challenge fabrics around 2006 or so.




And that green fabric with the leaves, and the teal one to the left of it with the same pattern? I bought that at Stedman's in Haliburton on a girl's weekend away in 2010. I have no idea why we stopped there... it had something to do with a Halloween costume I think! Anyway... who knew Stedman's sells fabric! 

See how fun this is?!? You get some quilting done, and remind yourself of fun adventures from the past. It's a win-win and a definite antidote to boredom!

21 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

I play I spy a memory with my quilts too..

Lesley said...

What a great trip down fabric memory lane! It's already a stunning quilt!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

This was a cute post going down your memory lane :)

Deb A said...

I do the same thing with the fabrics. So nice to have a trip down memory lane as you are quilting.

SandraC said...

I think this is my attraction to making scrappy quilts, also, like visiting with old friends, lol

julieQ said...

I love what you said about fabric memories. I love it when I am quilting and I find a bit that has fond thoughts attached!!

Kaelyn Angelfoot said...

I like to play a movie in the background that I've seen a million times. I don't need to watch it but I enjoy listening to something while I quilt. It helps with the boredom of a repetitive motif.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I love a good opera playing when I quilt. And since I do scrappy and fabrics are mostly gifted, I do try to remember where they came from and what other projects they might have also been used in.

Janet O. said...

How fun to share your fabric memories. I have a quilt basted and ready to go, but it is not scrappy and the fabrics were purchased just for this quilt. How boring will this quilting be!!

Mary said...

Scrap Quilting is NEVER Boring. You have a great memory! Love that you shared your thoughts today.

AnnieO said...

I like using up odds and ends of thread too! Who says only one color is required? Fun memories:)

sophie said...

Tip #2 saw me through cutting the hundreds of squares needed for the Tokyo Subway Map Quilt. It also made me see how our scrap quilts are a snapshot of us, as quilters. They contain our favorite fabrics and the ones we really just want to "hide" in a scrap quilt and get them out of our stash, they remind us of places we have travelled, the quilt shops and quilt shows where they were acquired ... and also are a picture of our taste--colors, patterns, designers--at the moment. Good luck quilting that great big beautiful quilt.

Threeundertwo said...

I'm fighting boredom today so this is a perfect post for me. I *love* that blah blah blah fabric!

Jeanna said...

These are all great tips! I will be trying some of these soon.

Missy Shay said...

I love looking at all of my fabric the same way. I call them memory quilts.

Kate said...

Looks you are making good progress and exercising those memory cells too.

Flickenstichlerin said...

Dear Kathy,
what wonderful tipps, just one problem.....I am way to slow to be passing by my fabrics. Good to see your fast progress, speeds me up a little too.
Greetings,
Sylvia

margaret said...

looking at all your fabric has certainly brought back memories for you. I like the idea of different cottons but have for now given up on the quilting of all my flimsies as I cannot seem to master machine quilting and had to unpick what I had done last week, not sure what I will do now but time will tell!

Deanna W said...

There are still Stedmen's??? WOW. You sure do find fun ways to get those boring jobs done...way to go!!

Deanna W said...

There are still Stedmen's??? WOW. You sure do find fun ways to get those boring jobs done...way to go!!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Great post!!! Good ideas - and fun memories.