Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Another Finish - "Times Nine"



While resting my back last week, I hand quilted a 12" block that has been waiting to be finished for almost 4 years. It was in a blog post I wrote in January 2012
The block is called "Times Nine" and was in the 100 Quilts magazine volume #4. The pattern is by Jo Morton so I used some reproduction prints to make the blocks. I was drawn to making this pattern because I like how each of the 9 blocks look different depending on the placement of the light, medium and dark values.



Once the blocks were together, it waited. I pondered adding a border for a while, and then it drifted into the UFO closet due to lack of a decision. But when looking around for something to work on last week, I rediscovered it, chided myself for it's UFO status, and went to work to remedy that.



Every single seam on this block was hand quilted. Maybe a bit of "overkill" on the quilting? But I just love the texture that all this quilting gives. And the amazing thing about hand quilting is that no matter how many stitches you put into it, the quilt does not become stiff like it sometimes does with dense machine quilting.



I even found a Jo Morton fabric in my stash that was perfect for the binding!



And now it's a finished quilt ready to be enjoyed!

20 comments:

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Beautiful quilt--not sure a quilt can ever be over quilted!

Gina said...

YOu can never over quilt a quilt. I always quilt mine to within an inch of it's life.

Ivani said...

It is a gem!

liniecat said...

Quilt perfect and it looks really huggable :) Love it.

Deb A said...

Beautiful.

Flickenstichlerin said...

Congratulations Kathy on this beautiful finish. What an awesome quilt. Love the pattern and fabrics you have used for it. Wonderful work.
Greetings,
Sylvia

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

It's lovely and the stitching is just perfect :)

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

It's lovely and the stitching is just perfect :)

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

What a beautiful quilt ... the pattern, the fabrics, and the quilting are all perfect!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Fabulous finish! This time of rest was really productive!

VivJM said...

Beautiful quilt (and quilting)!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Congratulations on another wonderful finish - love this block as well as the total look to the assembly.

Needled Mom said...

That is beautiful and looks soft and comfortable.

AnnieO said...

Darling! Good use of your time on the mend :)

Colleen said...

I love it and I love Jo Morton fabrics! I have a huge stack of her fabric on my cutting table but I hate to cut into them..haha. Get well soon :)

Lesley said...

Such a beautiful quilt! Love all the quilting!

Janet O. said...

I absolutely love it! The quilting is perfect!

Aunt 'Reen said...

Wonderful finish, this is such a sweet quilt!

Andee said...

I love it! Too cute and wow on all that hand work!

Kate said...

Congrats on another beautiful finish.