Sunday, January 19, 2014

Slow Sunday Stitching - Hand Stitching Patterns

Don't you love free stitching patterns? 
Many people I know (who shall remain nameless!) are more of a stitching enthusiast and pattern collector, than a stitcher. They admire the projects and talk about making it someday, buy or print off the patterns, and maybe even gather the supplies....but then don't progress any further. 
If that makes you happy, then carry on, and enjoy the process of collecting ideas and patterns. 
However, if you really want to see those beautiful stitcheries in your house, on the walls, and in your quilts, and if you want to enjoy the health benefits of slow stitching, why not make a goal to spend a little time with your needle and thread each day (or even to do some hand stitching each Sunday) and link up your post to Slow Sunday Stitching. You will be surprised at how the accountability is helpful in improving your motivation.
Whether you are "collecting" or stitching along with us today, here are some project ideas I have come across:
* click here for a fun beehive pattern from Red Brolly, with great instructions on making a bullion knot. 
here is another great little project from Nana Company that I really want to stitch.
* feeling the love? Want to make a heart quilt? Check out Quilt Inspiration for a ton of free patterns.
* here is another great resource for hand embroidery patterns and project tutorials.
Today I will be adding some hand quilting stitches to my Journey quilt. There is a bouquet of flowers in each corner of this quilt, and this is my last bouquet block to quilt. I am very close to finishing the quilting on the 8th block and can then move on to the last block!
Link up your hand stitching project below and share with us what you are working on today!




23 comments:

margaret said...

lots of interesting things today, more hours in the day please, this morning I am going to start hand quilting a wallhanging, doing lots of different sized circles on it so much more relaxing I find hand sewing to be than machining, much slower though!

Janet O. said...

Oh, I feel the momentum--you are closing in!!! : )

Gina said...

I love the look of that quilt you are working on. I love stitchery in a quilt but have yet to take the plunge. Will look through the links and see if there's something that takes my eye.xx

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Happy Slow Stitching !:)

Vroomans' Quilts said...

A lot of great reasources today, thank you.

Doniene said...

So very nice to see you nearing the finish of Your Journey Quilt - so very pretty!! Great thoughts and links on stitching!!

Blessings and hugs!

Sherry said...

Thank you for the links to even more beautiful stitchery. I love the concept of this linky party. I plan to enjoy my Slow Stitching Sunday sewing. Thank you so much for hosting!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Here I am linking up a 2nd post today :) I thought that people working on hexie projects might enjoy my GFG quilt :)

Denise :) said...

Are you talking about me?!? LOL! Luckily, though I do love to *collect*, I also love to stitch 'em up...my capacity to collect is just larger than my ability to stitch it all out! You've linked us up to a nice group of lovely potential projects -- thank you!! :)

cozykoza32a@gmail.com said...

Thank you for the linky. I enjoy visiting people who have the same interest.
Kathleen
Cozykoza32a@gmail.com

Ellen said...

I will be joining in today working on binding my latest quilt.

You shared so many great links today.

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

Your header quilt looks very much like the one the Quiltville ladies made me a few years ago.

Back to your post, I call those people the quilter auxiliary. all their shopping helps keep the materials side of the craft alive :) I went on the fabric wagon in 2001, if the shops depended on me they would all be gone

Happy quilting, Sharyn

Deb A said...

You are so close! Keep stitching away. Your quilts are always so amazing with all those tiny stitches. I love watching the process. Thanks so much for hosting this link up - it reminds me to slow down and I get to see such wonderful projects. Now to avoid the temptation to keep starting lots of new projects.

Cathy said...

I'm not a collector - I rarely follow a pattern. That's why I like crazy quilting - my cq works are unique! Wish my job didn't interfere with my stitching time!!!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What a beautiful piece! I don't do any handwork....gulp.

sunny said...

Thanks for the great links! I was inspired by a couple of the projects, and they can be made with fabrics I have on hand. I can't wait to see your finished quilt. Enjoy the process..

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

I am in love with your Journey of a Quilter quilt. I have looked all over the place for the pattern and have not found it for sale...Do you know where it may be available?

Ivani said...

You shared a great resource this Sunday, but guess what? This year is my Ufo Bursting. No new projects for me for awhile. Happy Stitching Kathy. The quilt you are stitching is so cute, I will be looking forward to see another beautiful quilt done. Hugs

audrey said...

Looking so good! You're getting close!

Teresa in Music City said...

Wow! I can't believe how quickly you are progressing on your Journey quilt Kathy! It is looking wonderful :*)

libbyquilter said...

lots of good links but i am trying hard to finish projects that I've already started.

love seeing the progress on your Journey quilt.
i managed to stitch on one more tulip today but have decided to post only every other sunday . . . more time stitching, less time on the internet.
this way i'll have a bit more progress to show when i do post.

have a good week Kathy.

:-)
libbyQ

Kate said...

The Journey quilt is looking great. Hope you can get to that last block this week.

I love the handwork, it's just hard to find the time. When cleaning out the attic this weekend, I came across the little basket I used to keep my stitching in before I had a toddler running around that got into everything. It's getting cleaned up and will reside by my recliner so maybe I'll be tempted to work on my hand work more often.

Turid said...

Pretty sticheries. And thank for the links to interesting sites.