Saturday, January 18, 2014

Blue Scrappy Saturday

If you missed my post this week about the amazing rainbow quilt I received, hop over here and see a great idea for our rainbow challenge!
I made a big mess of the blue scraps in my sewing room this week, and have sorted out a few blocks and projects to finish up.
First up is a blue Palm Branch paper pieced block.  I demoed paper piecing at my guild meeting this week and used this block as the sample. The original block is called "Red Herring" and the pattern is from Kristy at Quiet Play (lots of free patterns on her blog including a great new free paper pieced design called Sew Kitschy).



Here are all my Palm Branch blocks together. I have no idea how I'll set these together or how big this project will get, but it's still fun, so I will keep on making more blocks! 
To see more paper piecing projects, hop over to the Quiet Play linkup.



I also pieced a little mat from some old QST blocks that were kicking around here. I don't remember where these blocks originally came from, but they were perfect to play with. I formed pinwheel blocks with the different prints and it was like doing a jigsaw puzzle.

The backing is also made from blue scraps which were leftover blocks from a quilt I made for my Grandma in 1995 (click here to see her quilt). Can you believe these old blocks were still laying around?!?  Finally they are part of a little quilt! 

I learned that my "Blue White" sewing machine does not love machine quilting. The foot pedal gets quite hot, and it doesn't have the proper feet for quilting. 
There are several skipped stitches and big "toe catchers" but we managed to work together to get it finished. 
Finished is better than perfect! 

Now I have a great little mat to put under my "Blue White" machine so it doesn't scratch any tables it might be sitting on.
To see more blue scrappy projects being sewn, hop over to SoScrappy.

33 comments:

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Very nice Kathy....the quilt in your header is gorgeous!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

I Absolutely love the palm tree branches!!! I added myself as a new GFC follower so I can keep up on your work! :)Stop by: mypvl.blogspot.com

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Those palm blocks are awesome! So graphic! Aren't quilters the greatest, your post about the gifted quilt brought tears to my eyes too!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful blocks Kathy and the quilt you received that is in your header is awesome!

beaquilter said...

great blocks, I just found the kitchy ones the other day and will join too

Char said...

Those palm blocks are gorgeous! My featherweight sits on a little scrap quilt I made in the 2012 scrap challenge.

Mad Cat Quilts said...

Love that little mat, can we see a full pic of the front and back?

Sherry said...

The palm tree branches are really eye-catching. And the mat is so cute. Great use of those scraps!

Deanna W said...

Great idea to make a mat for your machine. I have one that scratches tables too! I still have that quilt top of yours that was adopted for me...I still intend to make it up into something you will want back!! haha. Love that you say finished is better than perfect. I am machine quilting a large quilt and stitches are a problem...just want it done!!Have a great weekend!

Kindred Quilts said...

Love the palm tree branches... it's nice that you can keep adding to the blocks until you decide how large to make it!
I enjoyed looking at all your "blue" projects... my favorite color. Your new mat is perfect for the blue White!!!

Sarah said...

You have been a busy bee!

Janet O. said...

Those Palm Leaf blocks are just so eye-catching!
It seems only fitting that your Blue White had the privilege of making up its own mat from start to finish--even if it did skip a few stitches here and there! : )

soscrappy said...

The palm branch blocks are getting to be such a lovely collection. How fun that you used one to demo paper piecing! Such a sweet little mat for your machine too! Such a good feeling to finish a project no matter how small

Andee said...

Love the Palm Branch blocks...gonna check out that gal's blog! Thank for sharing your blues!

Kitchener Quilter said...

LOVE your rainbow Palm Branches. So pretty. They might look great with a skinny white strip between each one. Nice work.

Kathy S. said...

Love those palm branches! I also like Quiet Play. Tons of fun stuff there. Keep on stitchin'.

Mary said...

Great idea to make a Blue mat to go under your Cute Blue Machine! Happy, Scrappy Saturday. I'm organizing...Oh the Mess I've made playing too long without cutting up the remaining scraps. I have a BIG tote full to cut down now.

Ivani said...

It is what I always tell to myself: Finished is better than perfect. The Blue White is now much more charming. I liked also the back with the fabrics remaining from your mother's quilt.

Denise :) said...

I really do love blue hues. Your Palm Branch blocks are coming along very nicely!!! :)

Deb A said...

Great collection of the palm branches! Sweet little quilt for your machine to rest on too. This link up is terrible for that quilting temptation.... too many neat projects out there I want to do! Of course - you seem to find those quilt alongs which are dangerous for me.
Have a good weekend.

Katie Z. said...

Your palm branches look amazing together!

Nell's Quilts said...

I love the finished palm branches. They are so neat in all those colours. I didn't notice the pinwheel pattern in your QST until I read they were there and then my eyes just danced from one to the other - like that old woman, young woman picture.

AnnieO said...

The palm blocks are beauts! Your blue scraps are way better than mine. Thanks for the info!

Lisa said...

Ohhhhh those palm blocks are really stunning. You've been busy haven't you.

Marly said...

What a colourful display of palm branches. They have really brightened up this dull morning. You have been busy using up orphan blocks as well as ordinary scraps.

Jo said...

Wow you have been busy

Created by Kathi said...

Love your sewing machine mat :) I recently made one too and enjoy it immensely!! I love all the meaning in yours and that it matched the blue scraps of the rainbow challenge for this month :) Congrats on a success for sure! Kathi P. S. Love the back as much as the front... esp the meaning behind the "saved" blocks in just the right color! :D

Ellen said...

Wow - you got a lot done and used up so many scraps. I just love the Palm Branch blocks - so pretty!

Cathy said...

I remember those gorgeous palms from last year. They are still gorgeous this year.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

Such a pretty post! Those palm blocks are stunning.

Kate said...

Beautiful Palm Leaf blocks, it's going to be gorgeous quilt whenever you get it done. The sewing machine mat is a great way to use up orphan blocks.

Kristy @ Quiet Play said...

Loving your blocks! They are so beautiful and colourful!

Missie of Traditional Primitives said...

Those rainbow blocks are wonderful! Very beautiful! Sorry your retreat was canceled due to weather...we've had a bitter cold week again making it too cold for me to make it downstairs for stitching. Maybe today I will dress in layers and venture down to the cold! Haha!