Friday, January 31, 2014

Always Home




I finished another quilt top this week. It is a pattern from Country Quilts called "Always Home". It used up a lot of small pieces from my plaid stash. Although the pattern has all the windows being dark, I made some of the windows light. I'm not sure if this detracts from the overall design, but it makes me happy.
I began this project in December of 2012 when I used to take the bus to work.  I loved riding the bus and enjoyed using this time for stitching (and people watching). But some bus drivers are better than others, consequently some of the drives were very bumpy! So that is the reason I'm giving for the poor quality stitches! It reminds me of those interesting bus rides on the way to a job I loved, so I'm keeping the stitches as they are. 



However I did touch up some of the stitching with my permanent Pigma marker. I just coloured in the spaces between the stitches to make them look a little more continuous.

I have even cut and prepared the binding so it is ready to go.  Now I will pin baste and get this quilt ready for some hand quilting. I love hand quilting plaid homespuns :)



Country Quilts is a great resource for wonderful patterns, and I really enjoyed making this wallhanging. But I must say, this is not a beginner project! There are a lot of small pieces in building these houses, and for me it was sheer delight, but beginners would probably give up on quilting all together if they tried this pattern!

19 comments:

Teresa said...

Its a cute wall hanging and I like some of the lights on in the building - gives it "life." I like your fix on he sitching - got to remember that one.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh, love this! I agree , I like the 'lights on' for a more homey affect.

soscrappy said...

Beautiful little quilt. Perfect choice for hand quilting. The yellow windows add warmth--I like them

The Cozy Quilter said...

I love your houses with a warm glow in the windows! You are right...this begs for hand quilting.

Deanna W said...

I think it is neat when you can look at a piece of work you have done and remember where or what you were doing at the time.Can't wait to see how you are going to quilt it!

margaret said...

what a wonderful wall hanging. Will await a photo of it when you have finished hand quilting

Ellen said...

Very cute! I like that you brightened some of the windows. It let's us know that someone is home!

Janet O. said...

I love this quilt--very homey feel to it.
Boy, you'd think for a pattern titled "Always Home" they would have had the lights on in all the windows! Good call on your lighted windows! I see you have also added more houses to the bottom block--that was a good call, too. Otherwise I think it seems unbalanced. The bottom block should be visually "heaviest" and they had it quite lightweight. Maybe they should hire you as a pattern tester. It is a cute pattern, but you have made it even better--and you could have told them to remove the "Beginner Project" star. *LOL*

Mary said...

Looks great, Have fun Hand quilting this one. Bet you are happy you don't have to quilt it on a BUS! Congrats on another top finished.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

This is adorable ! :)

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

This is just too cute! And great tip re using the marker too. I'm all for lights on as well!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I like the "lights on" in your houses! That's such an adorable little quilt! I can't wait to see that binding on it! I have making a quilt with some plaid homespuns ... so many quilts on my list ... will I live long enough to get to them all? ha!

Ivani said...

I also like the "lights on", you made a great change with the windows. Love this wallhanger.
Hugs

sophie said...

So sweet!

Teresa in Music City said...

Wonderful finish Kathy! I love that the windows are bright - makes those houses look homey and bright - welcoming after a long day at work or school :)

Lesley said...

This is a gorgeous project!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I like the light colored windows. It makes it look like people are home in those houses.

Karen said...

I have that book but haven't made anything from it. I did make one of her large house quilts from a single pattern though and love it.

Kate said...

Very pretty! I like the "lights" in the windows, it looks happier that way.