Saturday, January 04, 2014

2014 Scrappy Saturday

Today is the 1st post for 2014 Rainbow Scrap Challenge!
This is my third year of participating and I plan to continue most of my scrappy projects from last year, so it is "business as usual" in the scrap production line here!
This is my first Omigosh block this year in blues, which is the colour for January. This project uses my tiniest scraps - 1" squares and strips for the 9 patches, and 2" squares of background neutrals. The 9 patch blocks finish at 1.5" and are cute as a button!
This year I am adding a new focus for my Rainbow Scrap Challenge, and that is to actually use up some of my collection of Half Square Triangle (HST) blocks. 
I must brag to you that I have a wonderful and diverse collection!  There are bags and bags of them sitting in boxes. Some of the projects are started, and some are just waiting for inspiration. I know where most of these bonus triangles have come from, the quilts that I have been finished long ago, and the scraps I have retrieved from trash cans at classes and retreats (yep... I'm a proud garbage picker!)
So I plan to use up as many of those as I can in the colour of the month. Angela is posting some patterns for us and I will work on the blocks that have HST's in them. Also there are wonderful ideas posted here from the "Festival of HST's" last year. 
Here are my blocks this week. The top left is 36 HST's that were given to me by my friend Pat, and there are a few more to use up from that bag. The two star blocks use wonky scraps for the star points. These blocks are 6.5". Then there is my blue Omigosh block at 5" and my one and only blue spool block at 3.5". A pretty good start to the year!

Hop over to SoScrappy to see the more scrappy inspiration projects.

21 comments:

Cathy said...

You are off to a pretty good start, indeed! What an unusual use of 36 HSTs in that top left block. I'm not sure I would even be able to see those scraps for Omigosh! Did you sew that one together by hand?

scraphappy said...

I thought I was the only one with bags and bags of HST blocks. What a great start to the year! I think the stars are my favorites. Stars are always so much fun.

Sheila said...

I need to start me a collection of HST's. I'm just now realizing how versatile they can be making all kinds of blocks! Collecting beautiful scraps from trash ... great idea. You go girl!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Really love the wonky star! I may have to make some of these with the left over pieces of my RSC2014 pickle dish. What have I gotten myself into!

Denise :) said...

Wow -- you do have a scrap happy collection!! Your star blocks are fun -- and I'm really entranced by the block with the 36 HSTs...it's really COOL to look at!!! I'd say you're off to a *great* start! :)

Cathy said...

Wow, you are off to a great start. All of that done, and it's only the first Saturday! I can't imagine what you'll have to show by the end of the month.

Janet O. said...

I've still got a bunch of those HSTs around, too, but I have used a few this past year. I just get bogged down trying to get them all squared up to use.
Your spool block really puts all of the others into perspective. It isn't a large block, but it looks large next to all those tiny things.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Love HST so versatile

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I pick scraps out of the garbage and refuse to let students throw out 'left overs'. Bags and boxes and drawers of HSTs.

Elly D said...

Meet another garbage rummage-r I've acquired some very interesting scraps that way ;) Love all your blocks. Great start!

Mary said...

I sewed a bunch of those leftovers into HST's at the County fair then on Sunday while I had to sit there I got them finger-pressed and trimmed up. I had packed up my sewing machine Saturday night since I didn't want to sew on Sunday, it saved packing out one more thing Sunday night late. I made my "Faithful" and "Nabby's Dowry" with them. I draw the line at 1" squares when it comes to saving scraps. Go Kathy Go! Love the blues.

Sharon said...

Wow, can't get much scrappier!! :) Love your blue blocks!

Dasha said...

Ha ha ha! I'm a garbage rat too! But I draw the line at anything smaller than 2", so my deepest admiration for a) collecting those scraps and b) actually using them. Love all you blocks, they are great.

Anonymous said...

Great projects (re)starts. Have fun!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Yep - I would call that one with 1inch blocks and OhMyGosh block too! Have fun with all your scraps!

Teresa in Music City said...

What a great idea!!! I have a lot of them too - not as many as you of course LOL!!! It will be fun to see all the fun ways you use them :*)

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Love all your blue blocks! Wow, that spool block looks huge compared to the others, doesn't it? I love the Omigosh quilt ... I've often thought about making one ... just not sure I will want to work with that many tiny pieces ... I won't know until I try, will I? ha!

Jo said...

Wow they are small pieces

Ellen said...

Oh my...such a wonderful start to the new year!!

Kate said...

Fun blocks! I'll be curious to see your half square triangle projects. When I raided my scrap stash, I found a few bags of bonus triangles that I need to find a place for.

Nell's Quilts said...

Love the idea of using all those HST's to create something truly beautiful.