Monday, January 20, 2014

Design Wall Monday - Civil War

My finished Civil War quilt top is on the design wall today!
I started this quilt in January 2011 (a project on Barbara Brackman's blogand the quilt top is sewn together in January 2014... only 3 years in the production stage!
 
I managed to get the striped border going the way I had envisioned and that involved a lot of figuring and stripe matching. But I love how it turned out and I think it looks very Civil War'ish, so the struggle was worth it!  I love the border stripe (purchased at Quilter's Nine Patch) which is a print from Barbara Brackman's fabric line called "Homefront". You can read her post about Civil War striped fabric here.


I also have the backing sewn together from reproduction fabrics that I have collected in my quilt shop travels over the last 3 years. It's a mish mash of interesting things related to the Civil War, plus 4 leftover blocks that didn't make the cut for the front of the quilt. 
Soooo exciting to get this project to this stage. Next step is machine quilting, and you will never guess who has agreed to quilt this for me?!? Stay tuned to this blog station for the big reveal when the quilt is finished!
Finishing this quilt top was my January project for A Lovely Year of Finishes, and I'm so happy to finally accomplish this.

30 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

What a great finish, congratulations!

soscrappy said...

Those stripes are just perfect. And what a fun backing! It will be a lovely quilt.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Wow, those borders are wonderful! --a perfect frame for you civil war blocks! I love the backing too. I'm sure you have completely depleted your civil war stash and will now have to do some stash enhancement....

PS. I know who will be doing your quilting....

Kate said...

The striped border really complements the blocks. It's a beautiful quilt. Congrats on getting it to the flimsy stage.

Carol Swift said...

It's beautiful! Congratulations on finishing it...looks like a lot of work! :O)

Deb A said...

Congrats on the finish. I love the stripes and they came out great. I'm guessing you got a 'name' to quilt it for you. Can't wait for the reveal.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Congrats she is a beauty! Perfect!

Missy Shay said...

Your quilt turned out great and I love how you kept true to the Civil war era!

Cathy said...

It's gorgeous! And I really like what you did for the back, too. The flag fabric is a lot of fun.

Rhonda said...

Hooray, a finish is a finish no matter the time it takes. Love this quilt and the border, I think was well worth your struggles...great job!!

julieQ said...

Awesome!! Great job, I love it!!

Rebecca Grace said...

I am VERY impressed with the stripe alignment on your borders! Your piecing accuracy must be truly impressive!

Sue said...

What a beautiful Civil war quilt finish !! Congrats !

Ramona said...

What a beautiful finish! The striped borders are perfect and the blocks are just wonderful. Love the back, too! How fun!!

Nell's Quilts said...

Congratulations! Great job on that border - it creates that perfect finish. It doesn't detract from the blocks but compliments them.

Lesley said...

Your quilt is gorgeous...love the backing too!

Doniene said...

And it turned out just loverly!!! Fantastic backing!! I'm venturing that direction on a couple of quilts this year!!

Blessings and hugs!

Marei said...

Beautiful quilt and great job on the borders. You've got everything lined up perfectly!!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Fabulous quilt! Good job on those borders! I can't wait to hear who's going to quilt it for you!

Barb said...

I am sure it feels good to be getting a UFO done! Looks wonderful!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Just so lovely!

Janet O. said...

It does look very vintage--almost as though it was in a sepia-toned photo. Wonderful!
I am on pins and needles wondering who the mystery quilter is!! : )

Melinda said...

Your finished quilt top is awesome. It looks extremely civil warish. And your backing is equally impressive - well worth the effort to have such a fun backing.

Sandy said...

I recognized that quilt right away - Barbara Brackman's BOW from 2011! Would you believe I'm still working on mine, too? What fun its been!

Mary said...

Lucky you to have someone lined up to quilt it for you! You did great on the striped The backing looks great too.

Ellen said...

Fantastic Kathy - it looks wonderful!

Gina said...

Well done on the finish. It looks great and love the detail on the reverse of the quilt

Ulla's Quilt World said...

So lovely!
Greetings from Finland!
Hugs, Ulla

Quilting By Celia said...

You have done a great job Kathy. I am also starting putting together my blocks with sashings but not sure what fabric to use for the border...

Jo said...

Yea! Love how you used the stripe fabric for the borders. Looks great! Kudos for this finish and I'm also a little jealous, my CW quilt is still a UFO, you have inspired me.