Friday, May 31, 2013

Friday Finish

Can you believe that May is over?!? 
And can you believe that I finished my May UFO for the Lovely Year of Finishes?!?

Me either!

This quilt was started at the Red Letter Quilt Along almost 2 years ago. The letters were made using Tonya's book called Word Play Quilts (a great reference book that every quilter should have in their library IMHO). The 37 asterisk blocks were inspired by Jean's quilt, and I used a tutorial at the Selvage Blog to learn how to sew them. They were really fun to sew and I think I will probably be making more of them in my quilting future.



It took a while to settle on a machine quilting design to go around all the letters, but I decided on a swirly pattern. 


Then I had some thread snapping issues.
I tried to slow down, but this did not help.  This is the point at which beginning machine quilters struggle, and sometimes give up.  For sure it can be really frustrating, but I always encourage people to just kept trying a different combination of thread and needles.  It is totally dependent on the quilt sandwich, what batting you used, how thick the fabrics are, the combination of the type of thread that is on top and in the bobbin, and how your machine feels on that particular day! For me this week - the quilting needles and the embroidery needles didn't work, but the Topstitch 90/14 needle solved the issue completely.
I was happy to find this fabric in my stash which was perfect for the binding...and I had enough of it to go all the way around! That hardly ever happens...I usually find the perfect fabric, but don't have enough of it :)

The backing of the quilt is a plain white fabric with letters on it.
Click here to see other quilts finished this month.

23 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Your alphabet quilt is a star! (Or should I say an asterisk? ).

Jackie J said...

Love, love, love this quilt. You did an amazing job!!!

Béa said...

Wonderful, I love this quilt. Congrats on your finish. XXX

Butterfly George said...

Kathy,
I have wanted to comment on your blog so many times! You do beautiful work and I enjoy your side note on berries and life in general. You are a daily read. Thanks for sharing. Beautiful new quilt and so happy. Butterfly George

Betty Lou said...

This is so cute, makes me want to recite my ABC's.

Vicki W said...

What a cool quilt!

Quiltdivajulie said...

SUPER finish -- GREAT quilt.

Yeah, You !!!

Janet O. said...

I have loved watching this quilt come together, Kathy. What a great finish--congrats!!
And yes, that is the perfect binding fabric--and backing!

Jean said...

This turned out so pretty! I want to do a new letter project soon, just not sure what!

Debbie said...

A great finish. Love seeing it again...done!

Candace said...

Marvelous. Quite a wonderful quilt.

Deb A said...

Beautiful finish! I love those asteric's around the outside. They just frame the quilt beautifully. Those little swirls are wonderful....

scraphappy said...

What GREAT finish for the month of May. Letters are so much fun to make and they go perfectly with the asterisks. Fabulous finished quilt.

Rebecca said...

I love your ABC's...and I have the book...I have been playing in my mind with a couple of word quilts ideas and your bright happy quilt might just help me off my bu## and get one made!

Diane said...

oh I love your quilt-every time you show it I want to make one

Deanna W said...

Great finish!! Now onto Chompers?!?!

Mary said...

YEA! I love this quilt. I have that Book and have used it for many different applications. I want to do a quilt with all of my current Grandchildren's Names. There goes that "Start-itus" again.

AnnieO said...

Very nice finish! Congratulations on a BIG finish. I often find that white on white fabrics are stinkers in the quilting portion! Glad your experience in the trenches helped :)

Wendi said...

This looks amazing! Makes me want to make one, but I'll have to settle for adding it to the "want to do" list. Great finish!

Teresa in Music City said...

What a lovely quilt Kathy! It is unique and lively and so much fun to look at!!!

Kate said...

Congrats on finishing up this UFO. It's such a bright and fun quilt!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I knew you'd figure out what to quilt on it. Great job, all around!

Sarah Vanderburgh said...

Congrats on a great finish! The asterisk blocks are the perfect complement to these happy letters. I have an alphabet quilt on my bucket list - near the top! You've given me some happy visual incentive:)