Sunday, February 18, 2024

Slow Sunday Stitching

Welcome to the stitchy hang out! Gather up your hand stitching projects (of course you have more than 1!), your threads and needles, and let the creative process renew your spirit!


I finished two Valentine's stitcheries this week. This is a free pattern from Silver Creek Samplers and so fun to stitch. You only need 3 floss colours and you can stitch it on any size fabric. My project finished at a little over 4" on 14 count aida. I posted my other stitchy finish and 
video on February 14th.


It's International Embroidery Month and I have been working on the Kathy Schmitz Woven Wreaths embroidery sampler. The 5 embroidery stitches we are practicing on this month's block are stem stitch, fly stitch, running stitch, french knots, and fan stitched leaves.

As the kids say "I'm on the struggle bus"!  
I watched video #2,  stitched the heart, and was slowly making progress around the wreath. Then I turned it over and saw this random loop in the middle of the stitch line, where for some unknown reason I didn't pull the thread through correctly. Should I unstitch back to the loop? Should I secure the loop with stitches somehow? What would you do? I will put that on hold and wait for your advice!

In the meantime, I am cross stitching a pattern called "It is well with my soul". 

I saw this pattern on "Sew Me Sarah" flosstube (minute 38). Sarah is stitching hers on 32 count Zweigart Silk from left to right, and I am stitching on 32 count Belfast linen from right to left. I am finding it to be a challenging (but beautiful) pattern. I am enjoying the variegated thread (DMC 4240).


What are your hands stitching this weekend? Is it smooth sailing, or are you also on the struggle bus?!? LOL Keep on stitching and share your progress (and/or struggles) with us!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

14 comments:

Sarah said...

If I'm honest Kathy I would secure the top of the loop but I guess it depends how much you would have to unpick! And if the loop will drive you mad! Nice projects though.

Gretchen Weaver said...

You have some lovely handwork projects in progress. I would just somehow corral that extra thread into the back side stitching. Definitely don't remove, it won't show on the front.

The Cozy Quilter said...

If the loop will show through to the front on the finished project, I tend to unstitch. Otherwise, I secure it to some adjacent stitches and move on! Nice Valentine cross stitch! Will you display it in a hoop? Hope you can get off the struggle bus soon!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

It's always fun to see what you've been stitching on, Kathy! I had to download "Do Everything in Love" -it's lovely! I've had that happen with an unexpected loop that didn't get pulled all the way through. Sometimes I pull the stitches out back to that point, but I have also just cut it about halfway between the two points where it is, and hand tie them down in a knot. That works if there's enough floss to get your fingers around it! Enjoy your stitching today!

Kate said...

It's never fun to find those loops. If I'm not too far along, I'll stop and take the stitches out. If it's not really feasible, then I try to tack it down where you can't see it from the front. You have some beautiful projects in the works. Happy stitching today.

Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

Usually I frog back, but if you don't want to do that, with that big of a loop (and it happens to all of us), I would cut it in half to give even ends and run them in wherever I could. I've even been known to put a tidy square knot in if I can't secure the ends.

For a smaller loop, I coax it along the stitch line and whip over it with a single strands of floss.

Good luck with the repair!

JustGail said...

I'd whip-stitch the loop to the line of stitching on one side. That will keep it secure, and keep it from showing through the fabric. Or I'd remove and redo it. It all depends on how finicky I am that day and how mad I am at myself for doing that.

grammajudyb said...

Love your Valentine stitch! I’m going to be “unstitching” a bit of the outside of the February wreath. I stitched it at my stitching group on Thursday, without my magnifying glasses! So it’s not “up to snuff” as they say. Nobody else would notice, but I will. So I’ll do it!

Jill said...

Been there and done that back loop. It all depends if threads can be woven in other threads. The embroidery police won’t know if they are not visible from front. Do whichever method causes less stress.

Scrapatches said...

Love the Valentine stitching. Thanks for this link to the lovely free patterns. The March one is trying to call my name, but I am going to do my best to stay the course on my currents WIPS. No advice on the loop on the back of your embroidery (trying not to be pulled sideways into that lovely project either) as I have faced the same conundrum and have not found what I consider a good alternative to un-stitching and re-stitching. Decide what works for you and keep on stitching. Thanks for hosting ... :) Pat

Deb said...

It's looks like we both rode the struggle bus on the Feb. woven wreath, I also have a loop on mine that I didn't notice until I was halfway through. I'm leaving it alone. Your stitcheries are lovely.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Such pretty projects, Kathy. I look forward to seeing how you fully finish the Silver Creek Sampler heart. If I can avoid unstitching and the fix will look nice, I always go with that option, but if I know it will bother me in the end, I unstitch. Your embroidery is looking fabulous though. Enjoy your week. Hugs.

gleessa said...

I with the loop, I would cut it in half and weave both ends into the back of the stitches.

CathieJ said...

Like others, I would just secure that thread somehow on the back. I really like your "Do Everything" stitching.