Monday, February 19, 2024

Design Wall Monday


Happy Family Day (if you live in Canada)! I think this is statutory holiday because it's the middle of the winter, and we just need a 3 day weekend to recharge, and be able to keep on chugging through to spring!


I have finished sewing the blocks for the Good Hope Quilters' Guild mystery called "When you shine". Wow that is indeed shiny! 

And now come all of those decisions, like should I add sashing or just sew them all together? It would measure 42" square so some sashing or borders would make it a more useable size. You can see some of the layout suggestions here.


Below the blocks is the fabric that inspired the colour selection, but it doesn't sing to me anymore.

What are your suggestions to help me finish this comfort quilt? 

Linking up to Design Wall Monday at Judy's

7 comments:

Chantal said...

Would you consider making 3 more blocks to bring it to a usable size? I would go with sashing option 1 in a soft solid colour. Then add the gorgeous rainbow floral fabric you have picked as the final border. But that is just me. I'm sure you will come up with something fantastic. Enjoy!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

I like it as is...without a border. You could always use the inspiration as sashing if you have enough. :)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your happy, colorful blocks! What about one of the solids for a border- the red or the pink?

Jikke13 said...

more blocks and/or a bright solid for sashing and borders would be my way to go.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

When You Shine is gorgeous, Kathy. Lots of happy colors in this one. Looking forward to seeing your progress with the border. Have a great week.

Janet O. said...

I can see how that fabric inspired your color choices, but seen now with the finished blocks, it appears too soft, IMHO, for those bright, strong colors.
I may be a lone voice, but in keeping with the name of the quilt, I think black borders and/or sashing always makes color shine. I'd be tempted to try out black sashing (but not too wide), and then a red border. But any of the colors in the samples in the link make a great looking quilt.

Judy Hansen said...

I think the idea of black sashing would really make it spectacular. Plus is you used black sashing and a black outside border, your multicolored fabric could be the binding. We are looking forward to your decision making. Deciding what to do is one of my most favorite parts of quilting, but it’s also hard - too many choices.