Sunday, January 14, 2024

Slow Sunday Stitching

Welcome to the weekly hand stitching party!

I am happy to start the new year off with a brand new embroidery project called Woven Wreaths by Kathy Schmitz.  I learned about this project from Deborah, and last week discovered that Diann and Karrin are also stitching along. Is anyone else in our tribe working with us on this embroidery project?

I purchased the fabric panel at Spoonflower and it arrived quickly. It is available in 3 colours and although I wanted all of them, I settled on the blue panel (since I was getting tired of stitching red and green Christmas projects when I ordered it). I am using DMC floss 930 to start, and might use a variety of blue threads as I go along.



I really enjoyed stitching as I watched the instruction video by Kathy Schmitz. Even though I have enjoyed hand  embroidery for many years, I learned a few new things! For example I'm starting my threads the way she recommends (instead of a knot) and am liking her technique. Kathy stitches in hand but I need to use a hoop to keep my tension more even. She also gives tips for stitching on such tiny designs - so fun!

And also... drum roll please...

I finished cross stitching the Little Christmas Quaker by Susan Ache! 

I started this at the beginning of December, and enjoyed working on it throughout the holiday season. I didn't think I would like the lighter reds (vs the traditional darker reds of Christmas) but I love how it turned out and I'm glad I followed the colours of the pattern.  This has so many memories of the end of 2023 stitched right into the cloth! I am now looking for a frame to put it in, and then it will be stored with the Christmas decorations. 

What are you stitching today? Please link up your blog post below so we can see the projects that you have chosen to start at the beginning of 2024!


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

16 comments:

Kim said...

The colours of your Little Christmas Quaker cross stitch are perfect, especially the lighter red. Such a pretty finish, Kathy. The Woven Threads is a gorgeous embroidery piece. Love that panel!

maggie fellow said...

congrats on your finish - it looks great

The Cozy Quilter said...

Congratulations on your Christmas project finish! It’s really pretty and will make a great addition to your Christmas decor this coming December. The snowman embroidery is cute…you have a built in support group for that project! Happy stitching!

Kate said...

The Little Christmas Quaker turned out beautifully. Enjoy your slow stitching today. Definitely a great way to stay warm when it's so cold.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Christmas Quaker cross-stitch is lovely, Kathy! That was perfect for working on through the month of December. I enjoyed watching Kathy's video for the January design of Woven Wreaths, too. She shared some things I would never have thought to do! Happy stitching today!

Angela said...

That was fast delivery from Spoonflower. I have never ordered from them. I should give it a go.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I'm working on some applique today, finally a hand project!

CathieJ said...

I so wanted to join everyone working on the Woven Wreaths piece, but I have just too many pending projects. I love how the Little Christmas Quaker piece turned out. Great stitching!

Linda said...

The fabric panel looks like a lovely project. What will you use it for when finished? I will check out the video and see the different way of beginning embroidery with a know. Happy stitching.

Karrin Hurd said...

Beautiful finish! I enjoyed watching Kathy's video too. I am using some cranberry colored Finca which I had on hand. It is a pearl cotton. I usually use Valdani, but didn't have any reddish that I can locate right now.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I too am doing the Woven Wreaths and got the first block done--I ordered the blue one--only to discover it is really more teal than blue--for the firs block I did order the Prim Blue it called for, plus a lighter teal variegated one--and have since decided this one will need more colors in the blocks and have gotten some more colors--all light-med colors--!! I do love the red one I have seen online and am thinking of ordering that one too and I would do that one all in red--we will see!!
I love your cross stitching project--it is so pretty--and you always do such pretty projects--
hugs, di
Ps My slow stitching today will be adding details and beads to a new series I am doing from Calico Patch-called "Pumps and Petals"--

grammajudyb said...

Oh! I’m excited to see you doing Woven Wreaths also! Christmas Quaker is adorable! Enjoy that tiny snow person!

dq said...

So much beautiful hand work!

Angie said...

I like your choice of the blue panel! Thanks for hosting Slow Sunday Stitching!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Kathy, your Little Christmas Quaker is so lovely. The light reds really work. Good luck with the Woven Wreath. That is so cute and working from a panel makes it so much easier.

Melva said...

The woven wreaths looks like such a fun project. I am tempted to get one myself, as it would be a good travel project for when we are camping. But since I have our camping journal quilt to complete yet, I don't need another right now. Maybe next year :)

Be sure to join me in the Sew & Tell party! :-)