Monday, January 15, 2024

New 2024 Start

For the past few years I have followed the Stay At Home Round Robin (SAHRR) adventures with Gail and her friends. I have always been a wallflower watching from the sidelines, admiring the amazing unique quilts the participants created. But not this year...I am no longer a wallflower - I am joining in!

I am starting with a pile of fabrics given to me by my friend Dorothy when she was downsizing and giving away quilting supplies she didn't want to move. Such pretty blues! I just added the light fabric at the bottom.


My inspiration came from the Classic Blocks Revisited book that I received in the Country Concessions Christmas box (you can see the video of the box contents here). The patterns I liked the most in the book were churn dash variations.




This morning I saw on Quilting Gail's blog that she chose the same block as I did - a Churn Dash. Her block will be 4" x 8", and mine will be 3" x 3.75" in the finished quilt. I might be mad at myself a few weeks from now for not making my starting block an even measurement, but that just adds to the challenge. It will be so fun to see how our quilts develop!

Each week there will be new inspiration and directions to add borders or blocks to our centre, and there will also be a weekly link up to see the progress of all the projects. Don't be a wallflower like I was and miss out on the fun - join us!

Linking up to the SAHRR parade and the Design Wall party at Judy's.

12 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That pile of blues is so pretty, Kathy! I like your little churn dash, too. If you want your final quilt to be rectangular shaped, then that block is a perfect start! I'm looking forward to getting started on the SAHRR, too.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Pretty blues. Have fun! My little quilt guild is having a Round Robin that starts in February, and I'm joining in. I'll start cutting my fabrics today for my block (much larger than your block, mine is for a mini quilt center).

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

sew cute that you and our hostess picked the same block! It will be fun to watch as each quilt develops a personality of it's own!

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your blues are beautiful! Have fun with the SAHRR!

Quilting Gail said...

I'm so happy that you're joining in on the fun this year!!! Your block looks great! A perfect choice for a centre block, but obviously, I'm biased! LOL!!!

Jo said...

A great block. I do like the quilt with the different size churn dash blocks.

Kate said...

You've picked a very pretty fabric palette for the SAHRR. If you are going the medallion route, selecting the right sized border can fix a lot of size issues, I learned that last year. Really looking forward to seeing how you interpret each prompt.

Sara said...

That looks like a terrific book, and I love the block your chose. Can't go wrong with a churn dash. I never think of making them oblong like this. It has a whole new look.

JanineMarie said...

How neat that you both chose the same block. It will be fun to see how you each interpret the prompts as we go.

piecefulwendy said...

There's just something about blues in the winter - they seem to glow! I'm so glad you are joining in with us this year! I will enjoy seeing your quilt progress!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Welcome to the madness, Kathy! This is my 4th year of participation and I'm looking forward to seeing what prompts are released this time around. Have fun!!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

Your churndash looks great. I'm joining for the first time too :)