Monday, January 22, 2024

Another New Start!

In the past few years the Good Hope Quilter's Guild has provided several online mysteries. I haven't jumped in with them yet, and have regretted it every time when I saw their finished quilt. 

This year when I saw the required fabrics posting, I was intrigued and decided to sew along with them. And besides, when the mystery is called "When you shine", how can you resist?!?! LOL


I started by chosing a beautiful border print, even though it is not in the fabric requirements. The size of the quilt is 42" x 42" and I would like a slightly larger quilt, so will add at least one border. Look at this lovely selvage! It says "Just living is not enough, one must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower" for the "Create Joy Project" by Moda (artist is Laura Muir).

I pulled my 9 fat quarter colours from this gorgeous print. 


Some FQs had chucks and bits cut out of them, so for some sets (purple, pink, and gold) I added in other squares . Perhaps it will make it more "interesting"... we shall see how that works out in the end. I just didn't want to buy anything for this mystery, so used what I could find in the stash.

The second step had us making HSTs and some blocks. Here are some blocks on the design wall for 1 set of blocks (and there are 9 sets of colours). I can't imagine how this riot of colour will become a tolerable quilt design! But the writer Diana Vandeyar said:  "Trust the process, and please don’t be tempted to move the fabrics between the groups."

She must have read my mind! LOL

This mystery is presented in quite a unique way, which is great fun for an experienced mystery quilter like me! It's not too late to join in - the next step is posted on Friday.

Linking up to Design Wall Monday at Judy's


10 comments:

Lyndsey said...

Wow I love the border fabric you have chosen and you are using a cute set of fat quarters. I've only done a mystery quilt once and I love it. I'm off to find out more about 'when you shine'. Thank you.

Gretchen Weaver said...

The fabrics you've pulled a lovely. I look forward to seeing how the quilt develops, happy stitching the mystery!

Sara said...

That print fabric is so pretty - and spring-y. The colors you picked to blend are going to really make the print pop.

Stephanie from Ontario said...

I wasn’t going to start another thing, but your post intruiged me! Yikes! Thanks, I think!

Nann said...

You make all these mysteries sound so appealing! Love the fabrics you've chosen for this one.

Lisa in Port Hope said...

You really can't go wrong with a rainbow. I took a look at the instructions and I'm very intrigued. I have a large stack of charm squares that may work, for at least some of the requirements.

Kate said...

Your border print is so pretty! Love your color palette, it's going to be a bright and colorful quilt, my favorite kid. Have fun with the new mystery. I'm trying to talk myself out of my local guild's BOM for this year. I played in EQ and came up with some really fun color palettes. I'll probably brake down and do it because it looks like fun.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a pretty color palette!

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

I love the fabrics you have chosen! Will be fun to see how the quilt unfolds! xx

berylthepearl said...

I joined this group too. Thanks for the heads up. Really enjoying the process!