Sunday, June 11, 2023

Slow Sunday Stitching - Bird Parade

Welcome to the Slow Sunday Stitching party here at Kathy's Quilts where we celebrate hand stitching of all varieties. We want to encourage our fellow hand stitchers to keep making slow progress, and to squeeze every ounce of enjoyment possible from each stitch taken.

This week I have a confession to make and here it is - I LOVE birds. Love them 💖. I "know" the birds in the back yard, and I know which birds are calling or singing even when I can't see them. My family members love to tell funny (in retrospect) stories of me coping (or not coping!) with birds in need of help. And I enjoy watching Robert Fuller videos for entertainment. 

So it isn't any surprise that I enjoy stitching bird projects. Today I am sharing a bird project parade.


Shari the Colorado Cross Stitcher is hosting an online Cross Stitch Camp event and the theme for June is birds! The camp badge even has a pink bird on it. But I am NOT starting anything new because I have enough bird projects on the go! 


#1) Stitcher by Luminous Fiber Arts was started in March. I have enjoyed stitching with the Weeks Dye Works threads (although I still prefer my DMC floss). Of course I stitched the bird first! 
It is close to a finish. 


#2) Spring's Messenger by Scattered Seeds Sampler
I started this in April and couldn't wait to stitch my way to the blue eggs. I'm stitching the second egg and realizing that my count was off in placing the branch that the nest sits on. It will just be a smaller egg than anticipated! 


#3) Melisa's Spring Stamp Collection was also started in April and has been a delightful slow stitch. I am almost finished the header and have finished 1 design on the top right. I adore these little blue birds and wish my hands would allow me to stitch more often. But pacing is important and I am trying to listen to my body to inform how many hours I can stitch each week.


I am using the "sewing" method of cross stitch now and although the stitches don't look as flat (as stab stitching), it is easier for my hands to do. I am stitching design #6 which has the early bird catching a worm. 

#4) I also knit a hummingbird dishcloth from the Garden Dishcloths to Knit pattern book using a pretty blue Sudz yarn. Can you see the cute little bird fluttering on the top right? I love knitting these little cloths!

That's my bird project parade! Are you stitching any birds this week? Link up your instagram or blog post below and share your hand stitching with us!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

12 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

You do have a great collection of bird stitching in progress! It must be hard to pick one to work on next! I’m still working on my sunflower cross stitch picture. It’s a 30cm circle when it’s done so it will take a while. Thanks so much for hosting slow Sunday stitching. I love seeing everyone’s projects each week.

Kim said...

The birdsong in the garden is always a lovely thing to hear. You have some lovely birdie cross stitches in progress. Enjoy your stitching.

Kate said...

Your Spring Messenger project is my favorite of your current WIPs. Happy hand stitching today.

cityquilter grace said...

ooh such lovely bird stitcheries...

Cathy said...

Nice array of birds! I'm impressed you can id birds by sight and sound. I'm not so good at identifying by sound. Took me years to figure out the bird that made annoying squeak toy sound was a nuthatch always yelling at me! I love butterflies so no sound to id with them! They are the silent type like me!

Linda said...

Love all your bird projects.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love birds, too! We feed and watch the backyard birds here all the time, so stitching birds is a pleasure, too. I enjoyed seeing what you're working on. Happy stitching today, Kathy!

CathieJ said...

I like birds, but I love stitching houses. All of your projects are so pretty. I am glad that you are back to stitching even if it is on a limited basis.

Karrin Hurd said...

Nice collection of bird projects. I love birds too, but my daughter really loves birds and would be envious of your projects! We have a family connection to blackbirds/ravens/crows. Sorry about the sewer problems. I don't have a basement, but I did have a problem one time with everything coming up in the shower/bathtub, toilets. Hope you have a better week!

grammajudyb said...

Love all the birds you found to stitch! I’m enjoying stitch the blue birds in the SPRING Stamp Sampler too!

Miaismine said...

Yes! I love how you wrote “squeeze every ounce of enjoyment possible from each stitch taken.” So beautiful! I love your bird cross stitch in variegated green! And your Spring Messenger is lovely! Yes! I believe I will have to start listening to my body as well. The pain in my upper back/shoulders grows worse. Thank you for sharing such a lovely Parade of Birds!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

I love a parade and such a beautiful array of birdie projects you are working on. I am so honored you are enjoying the Spring Stamp Sampler . It is looking amazing. Gorgeous floss colors for the Luminious Fiber Arts piece and the Spring Messenger is spectacular.Aaah and the little hummingbird dishcloth- adorable. Hope you have had a very lovely day stitching your heart away.