Sunday, April 02, 2023

Slow Sunday Stitching

Welcome to the weekly celebration of the art of slowly stitching by hand! We encourage you to slow down, breathe deeply, take a few stitches, and enjoy seeing the slowly created projects of hand stitching gurus from around the world. 

There seems to have been a lot of social events in my life lately, and my stitching time has been eaten up by visiting and celebrating. I'm not complaining since it has been lots of fun, but that means less to share on the blog.


I did order a new hand stitching project to celebrate spring. I ordered these products  from 123 Stitch and the pattern is called "Spring's Messenger". Yes it was extra in postage and the exchange to Canadian currency but I just loved it, so it's worth it to me. I love robins and watch for them in the spring. I haven't seen one yet. 


Just look at these floss colours! Yum! I'm stitching on the recommended 36 count vintage country mocha Edinburgh linen. I love the feel of stitching on linen vs. aida cloth.




It's slow going since I am pacing my stitching due to hand pain. This is how far I am today. I wonder if I will stitch see a stitched robin or a real one first?!?



While I was waiting for the robin to arrive in the mail, I worked on my "Stitcher" project until I ran out of green "Lucky" floss. I was rather unlucky because the skein I bought was not enough floss for the entire project. Pastime Pieces mailed me another skein and this one has a bit more yellow in the dye, but that's okay. 

My right hand continues to be too sore for hand quilting, but it can tolerate cross stitching for short periods of time. I'd like to purchase a lap or table stand that could hold a hoop for embroidery or cross stitch. Does anyone have a recommendation for one of these products that you have enjoyed?

What are you hand stitching this week? Link up your photo, blog or instagram post below and share your slow progress with us!

 

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

9 comments:

Kim said...

Perhaps a robin will pop in to see the progress of your stitched robin. =) Your new project is a pretty one. I do hope you find a suitable stand to alleviate the discomfort as you stitch.

The Cozy Quilter said...

I started a new cross stitch project yesterday too! Sorry to hear you are still having hand pain. We have had plenty of robins around here over the last few weeks. Your robin project is beautiful! Happy stitching!

CathieJ said...

For a small project or one that you don't mind having hoop marks in, I would recommend this stand hoop. https://www.herrschners.com/no-slip-lap-stand-hoops-7-10-accessory/ It is light weight and easy to use. I like not having to hold the hoop. I have the lap and floor wooden stands also, but I find them annoying when I have to start and end a length of floss.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sometimes hand stitching slows us down because of hand pain for sure - about all we can do is either find a hand brace that helps us or slow down and work through it so stop for a couple days

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That Robin looks like a sweet design! I've only done a little bit of cross-stitch, and never on the linen, but I'd like to try it sometime. Enjoy your stitching today, Kathy!

Angela said...

Sorry, I don't have any recommendations for you. I am surprised you haven't seen a real robin yet. I have seen many and so enjoy hearing them sing.

Linda said...

You will see a robin soon, we have had a few in the garden, so lovely to see and hear. Yes, expensive to mail to Canada, so many lovely sites out there but few in Canada.

Michelle at https://mybijoulifeonline.com said...

The robin will be so pretty! Looks like you;ve made good progress on the Stitcher project. I’m sorry your hand is bothering you. I know from experience how frustrating that can be.

Kate said...

So sorry your hand is slowing you down a bit. I can relate, my shoulder pain is finally dissipating. Robins are pretty birds, but they are so common here, no one remarks on them. The robins winter here, so we see them all year. Enjoy your new stitchery, hopefully your hand will heal up so you can enjoy it.