Sunday, April 16, 2023

Slow Sunday Stitching


Welcome to the weekly hand stitching party!  Take a few moments to set aside your machines, your devices and screens, and just take a deep breath... ahhh... so much better. Now pick up your needles and fibres, and put a few stitches into your project. You will feel better in no time!


Today I will be adding stitches to Melisa's Spring Stamp Collection Stitch along. I am stitching very slowly so I don't aggravate my healing hand, and have only made it this far in stitching the frame. But do you notice that the line at the top and bottom do not line up? For heaven's sake! I made a nasty counting error and missed a stitch on the diagonal. I had to rip out the carefully stitched mistake...UGH! That was a set back for sure.


So I took out a big bag of floss that my friend Janet donated to me, and started digging around in it, looking for the perfect green to stitch the word "SPRING". In the sample the word is brown, but I wanted mine to be green. I did find the perfect floss colour and really cannot wait to stitch the letters so that I can get stitching the sweet blue birds! 


And in other bird news, I am delighted to announce that a bird has moved in to the little house my neighbour made for me and attached to the tree outside my front window. I can't tear myself away from watching her come and go. I'm so happy she is my new tenant. What is the rent for a bridhouse these days?!?! LOL


There is another spring mystery stitch along over at Joy's blog - called Days Filled With Joy. I just finished her winter sampler in March and can't wait to get to put some embroidery stitching in the spring project.

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

17 comments:

Ivani said...

Good you noticed the opps stitch in time and before a thousand stitches made.
So many options, glad you found a beautiful green floss to stitch the word Spring. How fun to dig into a gifted bag of possibilities.
WOW cute bird! Enjoy your new tenant.

The Cozy Quilter said...

That’s a lot of green embroidery thread. Glad you found the perfect green for your project. I hate having to un stitch cross stitch…

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

How exciting to have a little bird in your birdhouse! Do you know what kind it is? I hope that is the last mistake you find in your Spring cross-stitch project, and the rest of it sails along perfectly! Enjoy your stitching today, Kathy!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Long ago, when I was doing more cross stitch, when I had a pattern like yours that needed to line up, I would use a bright red basting stitch one thread away from where it needed to line up. Easy to remove, the red would keep my counting accurate as it moved away from the line and back again.

Angela said...

How lovely of your friend to gift you with all that floss!

Kate said...

Counted cross stitch can be so unforgiving. Hopefully you can stitch in view of your new tenant and watch her build the nest. Happy slow stitching today.

Michelle at https://mybijoulifeonline.com said...

Ugh! I hate when I make those kind of mistakes. And yes Spring is better in green than brown. Your new tenant is so cute.

Karrin Hurd said...

Frustrating to have it off a stitch. I like Spring better in green more than brown too. Hope your hand heals up soon!

Sarah said...

Annoying to be out by one stitch! Lovely to have a tenant in your bird house.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Happy Sunday,Kathy. It is so exciting to see your progress on the SAL and I am so honored you are joining me. Thank you so much. How fun that you have a new resident in the birdhouse. Such a sweet friend to gift you it the birdhouse as well. Have a beautiful day.

Deb said...

Love the little birdhouse, I get such pleasure watching the birds coming to the feeders in my yard. I was fortunate enough to see a rare yellow cardinal. Love all those skeins of green floss, looks like my stash when I am making a greenman embroidery. Love the Days Filled with Joy secret SAL I just downloaded the one for Spring.
Happy Stitching and I hope your hand is healing well.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Well, I am sure by the time I get back to cross stitching I will be pulling my hair out! Hang in there! Hope your hand heals quickly! Bummer - Hugs - I am back from the Abyss

Miaismine said...

What would we do without slow stitching? A friend of mine is going through a challenging time. I gave her a simple starter embroidery kit and a blank square of fabric along with a link to a beginner embroidery site (Wild Olive’s) in the hopes she will find comfort.
I’m hoping and praying your hand will heal and you will soon be happily stitching away to your heart’s content.

AnnieO said...

Oh it is always aggravating to make simple mistakes! I use a center line of stitching for north/south, east/west on my fabric, but have recently considered every 10 rows to help me avoid worse mistakes.
Your darling birdie would certainly keep my attention, too. Since we no longer have a cat, we have had a lot more birds in the yard recently.

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

That's a lovely big pile of green embroidery floss. Happy stitching!

CathieJ said...

I love that your new bird house is occupied. I am so sorry that you had to frog the precious stitches that you made. I know how frustrating this is especially as you have to limit your stitching to help your hand heal. I hope you have a great week!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Kathy, I love your birdhouse. I have birds' nests all around but I can't see them except when they are feeding. It's so amazing to watch them! You've just given me another reason for not doing cross stitch - the counting! I am very accuracy challenged and would make oops all the time. At least with free form embroidery, no one knows lol Take care!