Sunday, August 01, 2021

Slow Sunday Stitching

Welcome to the weekly hand stitching celebration! We hope you will join us - get out a project, some needles and thread/yarn and start stitching.



It's the middle of the summer here and the weather has been perfect for outdoor stitching.

July 30th was "World Embroidery Day" and I celebrated by putting some stitches into my new tea towel project. This is another fun pattern from Stitcher's Revolution.


There are 2 concerns with outdoor stitching:

1) Pay attention - you can be so relaxed that you make mistakes! I got carried away with the green banner stitching and stitched the corner of the blue bowl with the green floss. See where the needle is pointing? Ooops... thankfully it was a quick fix.



2) Beware of outdoor wildlife - always look before you stick your hand in the floss box! I always do look first because bees love the bright colours of embroidery thread as much as we do. Luckily no stitcher was stung in taking this photograph! 


I was so delighted to have some stitching time with my daughter this past week. 

Mother and Daughter Embroidery Projects
I have been teaching her how to do various embroidery stitches and have been hoping she would enjoy this wonderful hobby. But so far she doesn't really. Her project has a very tight weave background fabric which is a struggle to stitch through. This is a Dimensions kit, and the fabric they chose is not good for a beginner. She is sticking with it (no pun intended!) and likes how the project is looking, but doesn't enjoy the process. 😒 Oh well, I'm not giving up on her yet! 

What are you hand stitching this week? We would love to see what you are creating with your own two hands. Link up your blog post below and share your slow progress with us.

**Sorry about the coding problem with Inlinkz this morning. It took me a bit of time to solve but I think I've fixed it now.

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

16 comments:

Kim said...

Kathy......I was unable to link up as there doesn't seem to be the link widget......just a lot of HTML gobbly gook. =) It is easy to make a mistake when stitching outdoors. I think your daughter's embroidery is lovely; hopefully she will enjoy the delights of embroidery soon. Glad you didn't get stung by the little bee.

Gretchen Weaver said...

It's frustrating when the weave of fabric is too tight for good embroidery. It's frustrating as an experienced embroiderer much less a beginner! Happy stitching!

The link up needs some tweaking, thanks!

CathieJ said...

Kathy, as Kim said, there is no link-up. I have tried many times to get my daughter interested in many of the crafts that I like to no avail. Your piece and your daughter's are very pretty.

Sarah said...

These tea towel projects are great fun. I'm very lucy that my daughter is a crafter and we've managed to get my sons girlfriend into cross stitch and I'm in the process of hooking in a girlfriend! Shame your daughter isn't loving it......yet! Have a great day.

Ivani said...

Great projcts for stitching outside, enjoying the nature.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Stitching outside is the best! Your daughter’s embroidery is lovely! She’s doing great! There are pesky insects here too...mosquitoes, deer flies, and wasps. Glad you saw the wasp before touching the thread!

Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

Love the tea towels. I need to slot a couple of those into the "not counted thread" slot in my rotation at some point.

Link up is still odd - your html is broken.

Deb A said...

Some day, she may come back to it and enjoy it. Putting the little seeds and knowledge out there are the first steps. Beautiful projects.

Gretchen Weaver said...

Kathy, the link up went perfect, everything is OK! Thanks for your talent! Hope the rest of your day is lots of happy stitching!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the link is working good now - thanks for your link up every week

Sherrie said...

Hi Kathy,
Really nice tea towel...your daughters piece is looking
good. Have a great day!

AnnieO said...

How lovely to have a stitching companion--and I don't mean the bee (which looks more like a hornet to me!). Love your tea towels.

Miaismine said...

You and your daughter are working on beautiful projects! I'm sure it is frustrating for her, but kudos to her for sticking it out! :)

Karrin Hurd said...

How nice to be stitching with your daughter! Neither of my daughters are interested! Happy stitching!

Andree G. Faubert said...

I love stitching outside. That's where I did a few of my hexies, but then there's the wind blowing the little hexie cardboard pieces everywhere :-) Thanks for hosting - I wrote this post just to make it to your party! Take care.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I worked on embroidery on July 30th, but didn't know it was a special day till your post.