Saturday, August 28, 2021

Mini Table Scraps

Aqua is the August colour at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, and I have really enjoyed working with this colour. 

First I made a little mug mat that I posted about yesterday, and then I found a bag of little aqua HSTs that were already squared to the perfect 1.25" size. That's my favourite little size to manage easily. 


Because it has been really hot and humid here, I didn't want to turn on the iron, so I used my seam roller instead. It is a tool the works quite well to flatten the seams as you build a block. E
ach block has 13 pieces and measures 2 3/8" in the finished mini quilt.




I was able to make 12 friendship star blocks from the scraps and that was just enough (with sashing) to become a placemat. Of course, there is one bad apple in every bunch that needs to be set straight! 


The quilting was a simple stitch in the ditch using the walking foot. Isn't the happy flower fabric lovely for the cornerstones and border? 


This is the fabric used for the backing of the placemat. 

Isn't the selvage on this Henry Glass fabric just too adorable?!?  The "little old lady who lived in a shoe" comes immediately to my mind and this is a whole neighbourhood of shoes to live in!

Here is my aqua placemat, which looks bluer in this photo than it is in real life. Finished size is 15" x 11.5" 


Linking up to the Table Scraps Challenge on Friday, the Rainbow Scrap Challenge on Saturday, and Wendy will link me up to the mini quilts challenge at Constant Quilters.

17 comments:

ButterZ said...

Wow they are small pieces but your mini looks very fresh. That flower fabric was the same used in the heart block in your mug rug

loulee said...

Oh Yum! It's good enough to eat off!
I love that you use even the tiniest of scraps.

Ivani said...

It is a lovely placemat. Great use of small pieces.

Julie in GA said...

Your tiny friendship stars are adorable, and they turned into a beautiful placemat. Love that border fabric!

The Cozy Quilter said...

This is a lovely placemat! Such tiny scraps!

Deb A said...

Beautiful! Love friendship stars.... despite there always being one in the crowd that thinks they need to be different! So pretty in aqua.

Deanna W said...

Cute placemat. It is nice to make a little project like this now and again. Start to finished in a day or few hours. It gives you incentive to tackle those bigger projects.

MissPat said...

I think 1.25" finished is a tad too small for me, but your friendship stars made a cute placemat after the wayward one was redirected. On a unit that small, do you trim the seam allowances after you've sewn them? And yesterday's photo of Max and the mug rug is adorable. I somehow missed that post.
Pat

The Joyful Quilter said...

Another lovely entry for the August 2021 TABLE SCRAPS Challenge, Kathy, and a great use of that little baggie of HSTs!!

Kathy E. said...

Using up those mini scraps brings such happiness, doesn't it? I've grown to love this color through using it in August and need to keep more teal/aqua fabric on hand. Beautiful runner to remind you of wonderful friendships!

Sara said...

What a cute way to use little Friendship Stars!

grammajudyb said...

Itty bitty friendship star! What could be sweeter? Nothing! Great job and yes , the border cornerstone fabric is perfect!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love both of your minis - such a fun way to use up little bits of fabric! And so pretty in aqua, too.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Lovely placemat in such a refreshing colorway!

Jane said...

Friendship stars are gorgeous! My size too, love everything small. Jane

Janet O. said...

I adore this, but I would never want to spill my food upon it. I would turn it a quarter turn and let it hang somewhere and show off its prettiness. ;)

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Another cute finish. Congrats!