Thursday, July 29, 2021

July Table Scraps

Blue is the July colour of for the RSC sewers, and lucky me, I received a bag of scrap triangles in the mail this month. These were from Cozy Quilter Gail and they just happened to have lots of blue (and also white and green) which was perfect to make my July placemat!

I started sewing the triangles together not knowing what I was going to make. The HSTs became flying geese and you can see the layout that was starting to emerge. You can also see the Easy Breezy leader-ender block on the sewing table waiting to be finished.

I trimmed the HSTs down to 1.75". 
Yes... every single one. When you are sewing projects with smaller pieces, it really helps to trim off even these tiny slivers to make uniform blocks that will fit together perfectly.


As I was sewing and trimming these triangles I saw a zigzag quilt that Gail posted on her blog and decided it would be fun to sew her scraps into a design that she had just made - that's double the  inspiration from Gail for this project!

I tried to use as many triangles from the bag as possible, and this placemat ended up using 234 triangles. I picked out these 4 thread colours for the machine quilting.


The quilting design is a vertical zigzag using the free motion foot. I have practised many hours to be able to quilt a straight line with this foot. It is easier to get a straight line using a walking foot, but that means you have to twist and turn the entire project at every seam. The free motion foot is quick and efficient for this design as long as you can stitch a straight line.

Here is my July placemat made of 117 HST blocks that measure 1.25".


Linking up to the Table Scraps Challenge on Friday, the Rainbow Scrap Challenge on Saturday, and Wendy will link me up to the mini quilts challenge at Constant Quilters.

15 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Beautiful placemat, what a fun small project!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Great use of all those little triangle scraps. I just knew you would find a good way to sew them into something beautiful!

Deb A said...

WOW! You always amaze me with your projects that use such tiny parts.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love your zigzags!

MissPat said...

I did my Table Scraps project for light blues in a zigzag pattern, but my HSTs were definitely not that small. Good use for leftover triangles.
Pat

loulee said...

Wow, that is beautiful. I love projects like this, all made for scraps

sandi s said...

Beautiful placemats. Hugs,

Janice said...

Table scraps into a table mat. A perfect use of the scraps. The only problem is that it would be too pretty to use.

Ivani said...

And you made a beautiful placemat, Kathy!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

What a fabulous and functional mini! I can't believe how many half squares it takes to make one little quilt, but it sure was worth it. It is fabulous! Thanks for another great mini.

Miaismine said...

Wow! So pretty! It reminds me of the ocean with a bit of beautiful seaweed in there! Thank you for sharing!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Such a beauty! great way to use up those little scrappy pieces!

Flickenstichlerin said...

This looks perfect, wonderful idea to use up scraps.

Sandy said...

Yah those little triangle squares are addicting, and the possibilities are endless. Perfectly used in your placemat!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Way to make quick work of Gail's gifted scraps, Kathy! You created such a pretty entry for the Challenge. Thanks for joining the Table Scraps Link Party!