Thursday, August 19, 2021

August UFO Finished

My scrappy version of the Grassy Creek mystery is finished!

There was only one  incident while machine quilting this project. The edge of the quilt had flipped over underneath and I did not notice. Right where the green arrow points is a safety pin that was tucked underneath part of the area I was quilting, and I almost stitched right over it! YIKES! That could have been a quilter's worst nightmare and would have at least broke a needle, and at worst, damaged the timing on my machine. But magically I quilted right beside the pin and was able to easily unstitch the mess. Crisis narrowly averted!

I machine quilted hearts around the outside of the quilt since the blocks seemed to form a heart. I am very happy with how these designs turned out. The hardest part was getting the sides of these organic heart designs to look somewhat symmetrical without any pre-marking.


Here is the finished quilt hanging on the clothesline. Every block has different green, red, orange and grey scraps. There is one piecing mistake which I meant to fix and then forgot to do it. I only remembered as I was hand stitching the binding and noticed it again. Oh well... it's done now and it's a mistake I'll just have to accept.


I realized when I was machine quilting this project that this is the perfect size for me to easily quilt on my 25 year old domestic sewing machine (Brother 1500).

Finished size: 54" x 69"


Here is a photo of the grey backing. Hopefully you can see some of the quilting designs. 

I am so delighted that I finished this mystery within a year, and I am looking forward to the next Quiltville mystery adventure which starts in November.

15 comments:

ButterZ said...

So now I’m looking for the mistake but can’t find it.

Pamela said...

This is gorgeous! Congrats on the finish.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Great quilt. Wonderful colours and quilting! I don’t see any mistakes...just a lovely quilt!

Julie in GA said...

Congrats on a beautiful quilt! It's quite an accomplishment to finish a BH mystery before the next one starts! I sure don't see any mistakes.

julieQ said...

Perfect!! I love your quilting...really makes such lovely texture!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I like your version better than the original, far less busy. Good job quilting, and so lucky you missed that pin!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Such a beautiful quilt. The colors blend so beautifully! Great job done Kathy! Hugs

MissPat said...

Congratulations on finishing a BH mystery even before the color release for the new one. It helps to downsize and simplify her designs. I think the heart looks great and I'm not even going to try to find the piecing mistake. Most people won't notice unless you tell them (which you shouldn't do according to Angela Walters.
Pat

Sharon Kwilter said...

I like your color combo; very striking colors. Congrats on the finish.

Robin said...

Oh, I love the hearts! I'm so glad you missed that pin. That would have been terrible. I'm looking forward to the mystery. I don't do it every year, in fact, I think the last one I did was Alletaire. But, I'm ready for it this year.

Jenny said...

A beautiful finish indeed!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Great finish! I like the heart quilting. I couldn't find the piecing mistake, so, it's fine. Glad you didn't hit that pin. Also glad it was really close to the edge so that it was simple to remove. I bought a quilted purse/bag one time. I kept getting poked and finally figured out that the lady who made it had left a straight pin between the layers. I finally just cut a tiny hole to remove it.

Chantal said...

Congratulations on this fantastique finish! The heart design is awesome. That section does look like a heart. The back looks great too with all the quilting. Great job! Now, are you sure you didn't fix that mistake? I went over the quilt 4 times and I still haven't located the blooper. Maybe you shouldn't mention it. ;^)

Debbie said...

Love your Grassy Creek finish! The colors look amazing. Hooray for you!

Created by Kathi said...

I love your grassy creek finish and your hearts you quilted in it are awesome! Have a wonderful weekend and congrats on a finish :D
Kathi