Tuesday, July 28, 2020

COVID19 Fabrics

My design wall is empty at the moment (cleared off to prepare for my mini quilt photo shoot coming soon!) so I am writing this post to share with you my recent purchases from Spoonflower. I have never ordered anything from them previously because the cross border shopping expenses (taxes, shipping and handling fees, border fees, low exchange rates, etc) just make it too outrageously expensive. But when I saw some COVID19 fabric that Bonnie Hunter sewed into a quilt backing (you might be able to see hers here), I just had to have some!
It was a long wait with it being more than a month from online ordering to actually receiving the fabrics, but that is due to the parcel crossing the currently closed US - Canada border. I was just thankful they let my parcel cross the border eventually.

There are so many Spoonflower choices and you have to read carefully so you order cotton fabric instead of wallpaper or something you don't want!



I ordered 8 fat quarters of coronavirus fabric and have no idea what it will become. It might become a face mask, a tea towel, or maybe part of my UNITY quilt backing. I just wanted to have some as a souvenir of this crazy year. It's kind of like all that Y2K fabric we had to have in the year 2000, and we keep laughing about it not getting used up 20 years later!


Covid19 Spoonflower fat quarters
I don't like how the bottom right fabric is so dull/dark/not readable, but I ordered it to honour the efforts of British Columbia's  Minister of Health Dr. Bonnie Henry who has shown great leadership throughout COVID days and repeatedly says "Be kind, be calm, be safe".

The fabric is very stiff/crunchy so I hope it becomes softer after washing. Spoonflower has some really cool face mask fabrics/kits available and a program where they donate one mask for every mask kit purchased. 
Full disclosure... this fabric is very expensive! The cost was $18 (Canadian) per fat quarter! But I justified it to myself as a "once in a lifetime" purchase, and I had the money to spend since I haven't gone anywhere or done anything (except work and quilt) in 6 months! What are you doing with your vacation money? 

Vacation planning

14 comments:

hetty said...

Love that fabric! But not sure if I want to remember this crazy time.

Deb A said...

Oh, that fabric is great! I might have to go take a look. Love the TP one.

Anonymous said...

These are awesome! I know what you mean about the cost on Spoonflower, but you do get some really unique fabrics there - like these. I recently purchased fabrics created by a friend. That’s exciting. Need to check out the mask kits.

Michelle
https://mybijoulifeonline.com

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are fun - very tempting!

Carroll W. said...

You are a bad influence! I just placed on order after seeing your cute fabric selections.

Cathy said...

Thanks for today's smile at your expense!

Deborah said...

I didn't know covid fabric existed. I got a new sewing machine with some of our vacation money

Mary-Kay said...

Hi Kathy,
I just got my order from Spoonflower yesterday which I ordered about 3.5 weeks ago. Great fabric! Don't be put off by the large selvedge, the fabric is larger than quilt shop fabric so the printed part is quilt shop size and totally usable. They do recommend washing first so I will see how that goes.

The Joyful Quilter said...

It will be interesting to see how you end up using these Covid-19 fabrics. Those smiling TP rolls are TOO cute!

Janet O. said...

What a hoot--the fabrics are quite a statement on this interesting time in history.
I am glad we quilters don't have to vacation in the bedroom or living room--we can have a spa day in the sewing room!

Kate said...

Very cool fabrics. Spoonflower does have some really cool stuff. I ordered some chemistry themed fat quarters when they offered them for half off back in April, when we were all staying home. If you are looking for something novel, they definitely have it.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Love all the covid fabrics! They will have future quilters excited when they see some of that fabric in one of your quilts! LOL If I haven't thanked you lately thankyou for hosting Slow Stitching Sundays!

beaquilter said...

Great fabrics. Spoonflower is an hour from me, I should really schedule a tour when this is over.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I haven't ordered from Spoonflower since it is so expensive (and I don't have to pay all the extra fees). I like the toilet paper fabric.