Monday, December 09, 2019

Shoo Flies


I'm busily working on Christmas presents, and there is no time for putzing around in the scraps. But I was looking for a binding fabric and unearthed this baggie of batik HST blocks. I have no idea what project they were from or maybe someone gifted them to me, but aren't they pretty?
Squirrel!

I started sorting them to see how many there were that matched. When my children were younger this would have been a job I made them do an educational exercise to learn matching skills. But they are grown up now and refuse, so I have to do it myself. I should have left the baggie closed, but I didn't and well... before you know it, I was making more of those darn Shoo Fly blocks.
49 Shoo Fly Shoo blocks

So then I had to put a few on the design wall to see how the project is coming along. Wow that lion block really jumps out, eh? 

Okay... back to what I'm supposed to be working on.
Don't get distracted.
Focus.
Christmas is coming.

Linking up to design wall Monday.

16 comments:

Bonnie said...

But the blocks are SO cute!!! I always think raccoon --- they are notorious for going after shiny things they come across. We squirrels and raccoons can have a lot of fun off on our tangents.

Louise said...

Gotta take a little break for fun, right? These are really darling!

Alison V. said...

Very cute!

Mary said...

Cute 'SQUIRREL' project. Yep, that yellow block is screaming. Back to Your regular Christmas stitching...

Preeti said...

I do not know what is cuter - the squirrel that bit you or the lion that smiled at you :-) In any case I smiled through this entire post. What a way to begin the work week? In my opinion, Christmas is so predictable (falls the same date every year) but those squirrels are very moody :-) Glad you chased it successfully!!!

maggie fellow said...

looks like Christmas came early for you

Nann said...

SQUIRREL! And the results are wonderful. Quilts (and blocks) with no deadline and no destination come together with the least fuss.
Now back to your regularly-scheduled Christmas preparations....

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I think that was a great "find" in your sewing room - so perfect for the Shoofly blocks!

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a fun little distraction, Kathy! Those pretty batik bits would have been difficult for me to ignore, also.

Jenny said...

The Shoo Fly blocks look so pretty on your wall. They are tiny, aren't they? Probably a bit too small for me and my chubby fingers to work on.

MissPat said...

That lion does jump right out at you, doesn't he. But then I noticed the whale and the butterfly and the bird and the flower and maybe a unicorn who lost his horn? Very cute. It's always wise to take a short break to entertain a squirrel.
Pat

Sarah said...

You do make me laugh. Probably because I'm easily distracted too! But those batik HST just cried out to be used. Hopefully now you've scratched that particular itch you can get back to the Christmas present making!

Tired Teacher said...

What fun! They are certainly cute.

audrey said...

Your shoo fly blocks are very sweet. 'Don't get distracted' could be all our mantra for the month of December!:)

Deanna W said...

Glad I am not the only one who SQUIRRELS so easily!! Maybe a colour change would help Mr.Lion to not stand out so much!!

beaquilter said...

These blocks are great but maybe stick the lion one on the back?