Saturday, December 07, 2019

Scrappy Saturday Sprouts

This month I decided to focus on my scrappy sprouts project.  I started making these blocks in June 2015 and apparently I'm really tired of these blocks because I haven't made any this year so far!!  
It's time to finish this quilt ... but how?!?

One of the things I love about being part of the online quilting community is the never-ending creative ideas. Recently I visited 2 RSC blogs that helped me to solve the challenge of my scrappy sprouts project.


Scrappy Sprouts blocks on the design wall
I sewed the blocks into columns and then remembered that Diann over at Little Penguin Quilts added a sashing between the columns of her scrappy sprouts project... good idea. I put some sashing on the design wall. Maybe I need to make a few more blocks?

Then I remembered that Cynthia who blogs at Quilting is more fun than Housework made a wonderful RSC project this year with fruit and veggie blocks, and on the top of her scrappy sprouts, she made a rolling stones block. You can see her wonderful quilt here.

I used Cynthia's inspiration to make a rolling stones block which I think looks like a sunflower. I made the centre section slightly wider than the sides to fit the top of my sprout stalk. I like it!

This week I will work on sewing 2 more rolling stones/sunflower blocks, and then start sewing the columns together. 
Might this be finished in 2019??!!
Hop over to the weekly RSC link up to see more projects being finished this month. 

15 comments:

gailss said...

Cute ideas and love that so many friends have great ideas to help....looking good.

scraphappy said...

I like to flower top. Such a cute way to finish the blocks. Glad that you are getting another quilt ready to finish off. It is such fun to see quilts get all the way done.

Kate said...

It's such a good feeling when the final layout clicks into your brain. It's going to be such a fun quilt.

Louise said...

Oh, these are great ideas! Your Sprouts are starting to grow toward the sun now :)

Deanna W said...

The sunflowers look wonderful. So springlike and hopeful!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

That FLOWER is a great idea for your Scrappy Sprout tops!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

So great to see you bringing your Scrappy Sprouts blocks back out to play! The rolling stone block to make a flower at the top is such a great idea. One of these days we will both have completed quilt tops or even finished quilts full of sprouts and flowers to show off!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Love the sunflower idea! It really finishes off the stem nicely. It is so nice to see quilters sharing ideas but making the quilts their own.

Cathy said...

Such cute blocks! They remind me that I have some rolling-stone-and-leaf blocks left over from a Lori Holt (Farm Girl Vintage) project that need to be finished into something. Maybe I should just make more. I’m looking forward to seeing your finish with these blocks!!

Sarah said...

That's a really nice way to finish those sprouts!

Janet O. said...

Excellent idea to top the sprouts with sunflowers! Really love this.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Kathy - so pretty!!!!!! I am going to come live with you - it appears quiet and peaceful and nothing but sewing going on! Hugs

Kathy S. said...

What happy sunflowers. Love the rolling stones block with the rectangle in the middle for the sunflower. Cute sprouts for sure.

Preeti said...

Nothing like happy colorful sprouts to brighten a cold dreary day :-) Love love love the sunflower on top. Everyone will want this quilt so you better be ready to beat them off with a stick :-)

Susie H said...

Love the flower-topped sprouts! So much fun in our quilting community!