Sunday, August 06, 2017

Slow Sunday Stitching

Welcome to the Slow Sunday Stitching party! 
This weekly link up celebrates all types of hand stitching including cross stitch, embroidery, hand piecing, knitting, crochet, rug making, english paper piecing, applique, hand quilting, etc. We enjoyed seeing examples of each these activities in the link ups last week.
Last week we had a draw for a little kit to make the Bee' Lieve in Yourself mini quilt. The winner of the link up draw was #22 (of 37) which is Jayne, and the winner of the commenter draw was #28 (of 45) who is Nancy. Send me your snail mail addresses and I'll get these in the mail to you. Thanks to everyone who contributes by linking up, and by taking the time to leave encouraging comments. 

This is what I'm working on this week... more Life is Beautiful blocks.
I finished the applique on the last alternate block. I used silk thread which makes lovely stitches that sink into the fabric, but it also frays easily and the needle constantly becomes unthreaded. It's not my favourite thread to use.


After the circle is appliqued, I cut away the foundation fabric behind it. Last year when I started cutting away the circles on these blocks, I wondered if I needed special duck billed scissors for this task. But I persevered carefully using regular scissors, and never once accidentally cut the appliqued fabric on any of 63 blocks. So I saved myself some money in not buying those! 

Here is finished alternate block #31, and the piece that is cut away from behind the centre circle. That cutaway piece will eventually be appliqued over the final block joins to cover all my mismatched seams!



And now back to quilting the embroidered blocks...
here are the first 9 quilted blocks on the design wall. 

9 done and 23 of these blocks to go. And then there will be the 31 alternate blocks to quilt. I'll be busy with this project for a while!




What are you hand stitching today? Share your progress by linking up your blog post below.

   
    An InLinkz Link-up
   

23 comments:

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Looks fantastic ❤️

Kate said...

You've been making steady progress on this project. It's going to be a beautiful quilt when it's all done. Enjoy the journey.

SandraC said...

Seeing this post makes me wish I was further along in my Life is Beautiful. As for duck-billed scissors...I considered getting them but didn't after listening to my friends' comments on them. I did buy the small, red-handled Karen Kay Buckley scissors that are curved for this purpose. Love them!!

Mary said...

What a great idea for using those cut away pieces.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

This is going to be such a lovely quilts when it's finished! I have owned a pair of duck bill scissors and found them very awkward to use--I ended up selling them to someone else.

Margaret said...

Am I ever glad you mentioned the downside of using silk thread. I am a novice at hand appliqué and had read that silk thread is marvelous for hand appliqué and thought I would use it. Now, I think I will wait until I am more confident with my skills and then try it. I don't need that kind of frustration when I find hand applique kind of challenging already.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I do have duck billed scissors and I never use them - they were a waste of my money - I find them awkward to use I guess. I should get them out and practice I guess and then maybe I would like them, but I got them about 15 years ago and they are still like new so doubt I will now!

Julierose said...

I tried to link up this morning, but so far it hasn't shown up--what am i missing?? (Other than a functioning brain;000)
I also have duck billed scissors and love them...they are super sharp and since my hands are shakey, they keep me from cutting bits where i shouldn't...hugs, Julierose

Julierose said...

Ahhh, there it is--it did go through when I clicked "done"..duuuuh...;))))
Hugs, Julierose

Deb said...

You are making good steady progress on the Life is Beautiful quilt, the quilted blocks look great.

Deb A said...

Congrats to the winners. Great progress on your quilt. I really need to stay focused and see if I can actually get something finished!

Lyndsey said...

I love the Life is Beautiful quilt. Silk thread is lovely but I've stopped using it as I get so frustrated with it fraying.

Jayne Honnold said...

Hey! Thanks for the gift! I will email you (although I believe you have my email already). What a nice surprise! Thanks, again! Jayne

CathieJ said...

Life is beautiful is looking wonderful. Congrats to those winners.

scraphappy said...

I've always been tempted by those special scissors too, but I'd rather buy more fabric! Your blocks are looking great. Always fun to watch long term projects come together.

NanciT said...

I use silk thread exclusively for hand appliqué and don't have issues with fraying or slipping from the needle. I do keep my thread length shorter and run it through wax several times before using. Lovely work!

Stephie said...

Hi Kathy! I've been MIA for a while and I'm gobsmacked at how far your Life Is Beautiful quilt has come along over the past couple of months. It looks fantastic and I wouldn't be surprised if you get it finished up by Christmas at this rate!

Nancy said...

Your circles look fabulous. I like using silk thread but wonder about washing and drying it. The spools I have are old but still strong and I rarely use it. I continue to be impressed by those who can do needle-turned applique. I haven't quite mastered it yet. Thanks for hosting Slow Sunday Stitching, Kathy.

Nancy said...

Wait! I just realized you drew my name/number for the mini quilt kit from last week's post. Wow! Thank you very much! I'll send an email with the information you need.

Jennie in GA said...

You've really stuck with this one and it is going to be so worth it!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Kathy, I've recently learned that you can put a little knot near the eye of your needle in your silk thread. It's too small to make any difference in your sewing but keeps the thread in the needle. I really helps.

Miaismine said...

Your quilt is really coming along! I so enjoy your posts about this quilt! Thank you for hosting and for sharing!

CarolynPhi said...

Ladies your work is so inspiring, thanks for sharing!