Tuesday, August 08, 2017

July Shop Hop

In Southern Ontario, Canada some of our quilt stores host a "July Shop Hop". There were 15 stores this year and although it's a lot of driving, it is the only time I get around to visiting some of these shops. It's amazing how each store sells different products and has their own unique personality. 
Each store gives you a package with a block pattern and the fabric to make that block. That's right... it's a free event and you get the fabrics and patterns to 15 blocks if you visit all the stores. I only had time in July to visit 10 of the 15 stores.
Each store makes a unique quilt from the shop hop blocks, so you get to see 15 different sampler quilt layouts.
Have I mentioned lately how much I love sampler quilts?!?!

The one drawback about the event (for me) is that they do not want any photos of this event posted on social media, thereby keeping all the projects a mystery for the participants for the month of July. I did ask for permission to take photos so that I could remember layouts and be inspired by the creative quilting ideas. I must admit that I don't really understand the whole "top secret" philosophy! But they do have a huge response to this event and perhaps don't want the increased participation that social media exposure might bring.

I wasn't going to participate this year since both of the previous year's projects are in my UFO closet, but once I saw the finished quilt at Creative Sisters, I was ALL IN! Their shop hop quilt was wonderful and thankfully they recently posted photos on line, so now you can see that quilt (and all the 2017 sampler layouts) at the shop hop photo page here.



At the same time as the July Shop Hop was going on, there was also the popular Row By Row event. I have not yet become enamoured with this concept (thankfully!) but I do get a kick out of the creative fabric license plates at some of the stores. 

Do you participate in shop hops or the row by row?

12 comments:

Kate said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. I've never done a shop hop, mainly because the ones around here would mean taking off work, which is sometimes hard to do.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sounds nice - I would have to a lot of driving as well if there is a shop hop here as the closest to me to start would be 85 miles from me and then I'm not sure where the next closest is. I would be zigzagging around the map of Arkansas for sure.

Julierose said...

I never have participated--only heard of one last autumn, in my area....sounds like a lot of fun...hugs, Julierose

SandraC said...

Did you go to my LQS, Quilt Junction in Waterford? I quilted her quilt for her....when I got it I was told it was Top Secret! lol

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I was given my first row by row pattern last week. We used to have shop hops all the time around here, but, not anymore.

MissPat said...

We are fortunate to have a large number of quilt shops in Western NY and there are quite a few shop hops. I've done some of them and sometimes just a part (some involve lots of driving). I even stumbled across a shop hop while visiting Denver.
I haven't been bitten by the row by row bug since many of the rows involve applique which isn't my thing.
Pat

Janet O. said...

There are two shop hops in my area in the summer, and the shops also do the row by row. If I happen to be in a shop I pick up the row by row patterns to send to another blogger, and I do get a few of the license plates for myself. I used to go to shop hops with DH's cousin and aunt, but Aunt Jo passed away, and the cousin had to go to work full-time when her hubby became disabled, and she didn't feel she could take time off for shop hopping. I drove myself around one year, and hubby drove me a couple of times, and then I quit going. It's not the same. :)

Gretchen Weaver said...

I've never participated in a Shop Hop. Sounds like fun but then I'm afraid I would just buy a bunch of fabric that I don't need. I haven't particapated in the Row by Row either. There just ins't enough time in the summer to do everything and I don't need to add more work to my already huge pile of projects.

Dolores said...

I am a 'rower' for the third year in a row and wanted to do the shop hop this year but out of province family was in town all month so my plans fell through. I did like the way Sew Etc. in Burlington put the blocks together.

Cherie's Quilting Journey said...

We are in the middle of a Shop Hop in Louisiana. We visited 6 of the 10 stores last weekend and will finish up this weekend. There is a grand prize of a Babylock Jazz and a hand full of gift certificates. Each shop has a door prize of a $250 gift basket. As well as a goodie bag at each shop. Needless to say, I am hopeful to win a prize, but if not I got a bunch of great goodies.

Deanna W said...

I have and did but this year I haven't found myself near any of these shops. That's okay..my sewing room says I have enough for now!

Goofin' Off Around the Block said...

I have never participated in a shop hop...at least on purpose. A number of years ago I happened to be in my local quilt shop and they were hosting, so I picked up a pattern and fabric but didn't go to any other shops. I would love to do one one day...on my quilting bucket list. Happy sewing! Andrea