Thursday, February 02, 2017

UFO Groundhog Day

Happy Groundhog Day!

Did you ever see the movie Groundhog Day starring Bill Murray? It's a classic story about learning to be a better person when given the opportunity to live one day over and over until you get it right. The moral of the story is the same my "quote of the year" for 2017... see the bottom of my blog.
If only we had the chance for "do overs".
Well, luckily for me, I am getting the chance for a quilting "do over".
Since last September I have had the SAME project as my "UFO of the month". That means 5 months have passed and this Votes For Women quilt is still not done. 
Perhaps the lengthy making of this quilt is paralleling the neverending fight for women's rights?!? 
In September I made the remaining block, thought about the quilt, and made decisions about the layout and sashing. In October I sewed the blocks together into 3 panels. In November and December I machine quilted the first panel. In January I machine quilted the second panel. I have just finished trimming both of these panels and am ready to join them together quilt-as-you-go style.
This is my Groundhog Day quilt! I just keep looking at this quilt, wishing it was finished, making tiny baby steps toward the goal, but not finishing it.
SO for the 6th month in a row, I am making it my goal to finish this quilt. It's embarrassing to admit this. But there it is. I wonder if they might kick me out of the One Monthly Goal club for never reaching my monthly goal?!?
Note to self: set more reasonable goals in order to feel great about meeting them by the end of the month, instead of setting grandiose goals and always feeling disappointed that I didn't meet them! 
To see the February goal link up click here.

19 comments:

swooze said...

Sometimes that challenge is not good for my ego! I didn't make my goal either🙄😞 but this is our month!

BizarreQuilter said...

Well, that's good advice. Set realistic goals.

Maybe you need 2 months break from it until you feel like working on it again. It always seems that if I find a new project I LOVE and don't let myself start it until I have finished something, yet, I leave the new project in a pile of fresh fabric and pattern in a place where I can pat it every time I walk past, it's AMAZING how quickly I can get through something I didn't think I felt like finishing. Hee hee.

The Cozy Quilter said...

I admire your perseverance!

Chantal said...

If it's any consolation, I didn't reach my goal this month either. Sometimes, the preparation is longer than we thought and sometimes, Plan B shows up, joined by Plan C and then Plan D ... I'll be working on another quilt for February as something else popped up in my sewing room. ;^)

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I think it is just a large and complex pattern, and you just have to take it in its time. Sounds like you are getting close though!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Love that movie -terrific post! Better plan for goals, too.

Janet O. said...

Is there something about the quilt you don't like, or are you just at a stage in the process that is not your favorite? Those are usually the reasons my quilts get stalled, even though they are close to a finish.

Teresa in Music City said...

I've had projects like that - just couldn't wait to have them DONE and off my To Do list! You are so close - I'm putting my money on you for the finish this month!!!!

Mary said...

You are good for keeping it as your OMG! I just moved right along to the next UFO this month. You will be done soon with your hard work. Too close to quit now.

Angie in SoCal said...

Don't be so hard on yourself. Your perseverance will get you there. It doesn't matter if it takes so long. Blessings,

Laura said...

You are 'the little engine that could'! Enjoy the process...quilting is supposed to be fun!

wheelinsticks said...

Like you said, little steps! You will get there.

Patty said...

Steps forward will get you there! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck on your project.

Gretchen Weaver said...

I just recorded this movie, haven't watched it yet. Sometimes quilts just take a long time and this is one of them. Slowly, stitch by stitch, you'll get 'er finished! villacrestfarm@gmail.com

Monica said...

I would call them "stretch" goals, rather than grandiose. I have not met my OMG either, so I wouldn't beat yourself up. You're a busy person! And quilting is for fun. :D

Sarah said...

Just keep taking those little steps and you'll crack it eventually.....good luck!

sewnut said...

I was glad to see this piece. Thanks for sharing it with us at the guild. I look forward to May 27.

Kate said...

But you made progress each month, which is the whole point of a goal is to move you ahead. I'd say you did really well on getting this one to the almost complete stage.

Deb A said...

Just change how you look at it - you have made great progress on the quilt each month and now you are close to a finish! By the way - you are making me look bad - mine is still 3 parts and not even a top yet!