Monday, February 27, 2017

Design Wall Monday

On the design wall is a finished quilt top made from the Broken Dishes block swap. I received these blocks last year in the swap hosted by Barb in Connecticut. The pattern is from Hyacinth Quilt Designs
I have looked at it again in person and on the computer screen, and I think the layout is right at this point. Feel free to tell me if you think there is a twisted block... I'd rather know now than after it's quilted! 
I did not put the blocks on the design wall before sewing them together. I sewed one test block first on my Sweet Baby Jayne 1964 Singer Featherweight (which still sews like a dream). Then I attached a muslin square to approximately half the blocks. 
Then I started to construct the blocks in a 9 patch fashion. The only criteria was "no repeated fabric within the blocks". After all the blocks were sewn, they went on the design wall.
It was a little tricky to get all the blocks going the right way, and the seam ripper was used on numerous occasions. You know how it goes... put the blocks on the design wall, take them to machine, sew them together, press the seams, put back up on the wall, locate the mistakes, unsew those seams, and repeat.
Thanks to Cindy at Hyacinth for the layout design and to Barb for hosting such a fun swap which resulted in these 80 wonderful broken dishes blocks.
To see more design wall posts, hop over to Patchwork Times.

24 comments:

swooze said...

Love it!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Great quilt top! Did you put it together at your retreat? My blocks are still in a bag...I have a plan formulating in my head...

Kathy S. said...

It's gorgeous. What a great block to swap!

Karen said...

So many red fabrics and looking good in this layout.

Gretchen Weaver said...

This is beautiful!

Alison V. said...

This looks awesome!

Katie said...

Looks perfect.

Amy said...

Love, love your layout! I just finished my top from Barb's modern Broken Dishes swap last week. Those blocks must have been calling us. Now to find time for the quilting...

Angie said...

Great layout! I haven't started assembling my blocks yet - may have to try this!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I like the red and white, lovely scrappy quilt.

Barb said...

This is a great great layout! I have to get mine out and play with them soon!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

It's beautiful--I love two color quilts and this one is going to be a classic!

Judy D in WA said...

LOVE this! I love red and white quilts and this one if fabulous.

Teresa said...

I love it, and don't see anything wrong, but I know what you mean about the ripping seem to be doing a lot of that myself lately

Mary said...

Sorry about all the ripping. It happens. Great looking Swap Quilt.

Marti said...

That's gorgeous. Did everyone use the same fabrics or just the same color range? Everything looks like it is turned right to me.

Janet O. said...

This is such a pretty layout! Has a fresh, lacy feel to me!

Thelma said...

Very nice, but then I don't think you can ever go wrong with a Red and White quilt, regardless of the pattern. Enjoy it.

Missy Shay said...

I always lay my block out beside me before I sew, it is the only way I can get it right, otherwise I get it all messed up. Have you seen these? http://beeinmybonnetco.blogspot.com/2011/07/mini-design-board-tutorial.html They really help.

Needled Mom said...

That is beautiful!

Kyle said...

That's a great layout. My blocks are waiting for some inspiration. I might have to think about this one.

Kevin the Quilter said...

Holy Moly! What eye candy! I just love red and white quilts! Your version from the block drive is stellar!

Kate said...

Beautiful! Love the red and cream color palette.

Candace said...

I love this quilt! Great layout. I don't know if you will find this helpful at all, but I always use painter's tape to help me keep my blocks straight when sewing them together. I put a letter to enumerate the vertical rows, and a letter ti enumerate the horizontal rows. Always placing the tape in the upper left hand corner prevents me twisting the blocks. That usually works pretty well for me. I do many quilts where direction is a factor.