Saturday, January 09, 2016

Scrappy Saturday


Do you have scrap problems like this one?

I have to get some of these large scrap bins under control and into finished quilts. 


And with that goal in mind, I am starting a new Rainbow Scrap Challenge project (well, I'm actually starting 2, but today I'm only admitting to 1!) 
I was inspired by Bonnie Hunter's class photos when she was teaching "Mad City Mama". It's a weird name for a quilt pattern, but it's a great scrap user pattern from her leader/ender book .


The colour of the month for the RSC is blue, and I have been cutting blue scraps into useable sizes for my first block.



Here is my first 25 patch block finished. Each month I plan to make one large block for this quilt, which includes four of the 25 patch blocks, four of the string blocks, and one centre block (which will not be a solid piece of fabric in my blocks).
To see what the other Rainbow Scrappers are making, hop over to SoScrappy.

14 comments:

scraphappy said...

So many scraps! I think that quilt done in single color blocks would be so pretty. And it uses so many little bits! Good luck getting those scraps tamed.

Ariane said...

I love the idea of making this pattern as a rainbow quilt. Can't wait to see more.

Dasha said...

Lovely choice of block for the RSC.

suzanne, dutchess county NY said...

January must be scrap taming month! I have been at it a week now. Karen at karensquilting.com is too using her new accuquilt. We both can say that our scrap boxes seem just as full and wrinkled ha ha! Like the idea of the scrap challenge your participating in. Will have to check that out?

KaHolly said...

Good luck! I love your first block!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Scrap Dance Tango is beginning to use up more of your scraps!

Ellen said...

I too have a major scrap problem. It is a happy problem to have. ;)

Deanna W said...

I didn't have a scrap box like that till I started watching Bonnie Hunter talk about strings and things. Now all I want to do is play with my scraps...four patches, string blocks!! Love it.

Kate said...

So many pretty blues. Looking forward to seeing both your RSC projects this year.

allthingzsewn said...

Good luck with that, that bin is a tad overwhelming.

Chantal said...

Gotta love scrappy bins and all the potential quilts they hold. Love the block you've picked. It will be very interesting in rainbow colours. ;^)

Robin said...

That's a great block and a fun attention getting name. You're going to have fun with making these.

DeAnna said...

Great scrap buster quilt. It will be beautiful in all those blues.

Karen said...

You always seem to have a lot of scraps even though you use them. I will watch your progress with interest seeing how your new plans come together.