Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Treadling on Tuesday

Thanks to everyone who sent suggestions about how to deal with the smell of my new treadle belt. I hung it outside to "air out" for a week, and then put it in the downstairs cupboard for another week. This week it smells like regular leather instead of a skunk, so I can stand it now:)  Here is the old belt and the new one...quite a difference in the look of the leather.
To learn how to replace the belt, I read the suggestions posted in a "Treadle On" article, and I watched this video on Youtube. Then I got out the tools and got to work.
I made the belt a little bit tight because everything I read said the leather stretches out a bit at first. It was harder to treadle with this new belt for sure. So hopefully it will relax and be easier to use soon. And hopefully I have it installed correctly!?
While I was rummaging around in the treadle drawers, I found this enormous diaper pin, and a very old spool of thread with a sticker that said it cost 15 cents! 
The next step on my treadle journey will be to oil the machine, so I plan to do some research on that this week.  

3 comments:

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

Looks like you did it right to me! How cool is that!!! I have three treadles and love them, though I'll be honest I only sew on them when I get a bug up my butt to do it. I love your header quilt too! ;)

Teresa in Music City said...

Oh my goodness you may me want to start playing with mine! But I have too much going on right now. After the holidays hopefully I'll get it out and start learning how to get it running. I know I'm going to have to start with the belt too, but I think just adjusting it. It's supposed to be a new one. We'll see :*)

Missy Shay said...

I was told to oil everything that moves! LOL Just be careful not to put oil where the material is. One lady told me she always runs(sews) a paper towel under the needle afteroiling becuase she puts a lot of oil and this makes sure that the oil does not get on her material.