Sunday, December 10, 2023

Slow Sunday Stitching

Hello stitchers and welcome to the weekly hand stitching party! 

It's that time of year again when we have to be diligent about the societal, cultural, family, and self imposed pressures to be in a frenetic and overextended state during the holiday season. How about we don't put any pressure on ourselves, and just do what we have the energy, finances, and desire to do??



I have started my December cross stitch (Free Little Quaker Christmasproject and I put in some stitches every night before bedtime. This is the right side length of the project completed, which allowed me to trim to fabric on the bottom. I was very pleased with this progress and stitched the gold bell.

 


And as soon as the bell was finished and I started those little pink stars, I realized the bell was the wrong size, and I had to remove most of those stitches! Maybe stitching at bedtime is not always a good choice!!?? LOL


So I abandoned the right side and I moved to the top for some fresh energy and am really enjoying this project once again.



I also finally finished hand stitching the binding on my Christmas Bargello tablerunner. Isn't this backing fabric fun?


This was pieced at a class I took with my sister in the summer at Cherished Pieces. I machine quilted it through the rectangles following the bargello pattern using black, green, white and red threads.


Finished size: 15.5" x 45.5"


Now it's your turn... what are you hand stitching this time of year? Are you finding moments to relax and enjoy your pretty threads and projects? Link up your blog post below and share your slow progress with us.

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

12 comments:

CathieJ said...

I love your bargello table runner. Sorry that you had to frog the bell. This is a pretty project and you are making good progress despite the mistake. Happy Stitching!

The Cozy Quilter said...

I am definitely feeling a bit stressed these days. The list of thing to do is long and there are lots of social commitments on the calendar. I need some slow stitching time today! Thanks so much for reminding us each week to slow down and pick up our slow projects. Your bargello table runner will look very festive on your table.

Kate said...

Being retired does help with the stress at the holidays, you have more time to do the holiday thing when your aren't working. Your holiday table runner turned out beautifully! Your cross stitch project is moving along too, sorry you had to unsew a good part of it. Happy slow stitching today.

Sarah said...

So annoying when you miscount in cross stitch, but looks like you salvaged it ok! Love your table runner so much.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I agree with you about the "no pressure" holidays, Kathy! They are definitely much more enjoyable that way. The Christmas cross-stitch design you're working on is lovely, and so is the tablerunner - so festive! Enjoy your stitching today!

Angela said...

Oh, yes! Every year I find a way to make Christmas less busy and stressful. It is about being with the people we love ultimately. all the other froth isn't needed.

Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

Frogging is just part of stitching, I'm afraid.

I feel your pain - I stitched for three hours last night and the first 45 min was all frogging (sigh). But it looks fine now and I'm past where I had to rip out.

There are a (very few) things that I try to do every year, and the rest of it is "if I get to it, fine. if I don't get to it, that's fine too". Not stressing. There's a reason for the season and that's what matters.

Linda said...

You have made lots of lovely progress this week. It really is slow stitching for me, a few bits of embroidery done and a few rows of sock knitting.

Deanna W said...

No slow stitching today, i am in baking mode. A little knitting later to relax before bedtime. Hope to have some sewing time this week but it is a busy one and i have shopping to finish.

Julierose said...

Holidays=stress for sure for me...trying to take a step back this year: decorated very minimally, no traveling this year with long drives after gatherings in the dark!! Just doing a few cards to faraway family only; the others will be ecards....all in all just trying to enjoy this wonderful run-up to Christmas slowly--
I love your bargello table runner--so pretty.
Hugs, Julierose

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Kathy, that's a great runner. Good luck with your cross stitch. It looks so tiny! Thanks for the party.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

This is going to be a fun little stitch to work on, Kathy. I am so sorry that the frog visited though. That is one gorgeous table runner too. Happy quilting and stitching.