Sunday, December 31, 2023

Slow Sunday Stitching - New Year's Eve

Welcome to the weekly hand stitching party! It's New Year's Eve today and the whole world will be preparing to wrap up 2023 and start a fresh year ahead.

In 2023 I naively entered the wonderful world of Flosstube and discovered so many interesting folks enjoying a wide variety of hand stitching - mostly cross stitch.  As a result, I experimented with a number of new products such as variegated hand dyed threads, and the world of Mill Hill kits which combines stitching with beading. There are so many amazing creative opportunities!

I recently heard about the 12 x 12 event started by Kea Bee. The idea is that on New Year's Eve you start 12 new projects, and starting at noon you put stitches into a new project every hour. That is a lot of new WIP's to add to a collection that is already too big! 

So I decided that I will try a variation of this idea and work on 12 projects, one each hour, but they will mostly be projects that I have already been working on. What better way to bring in 2024 than by stitching all day long!


I have spent time the past week on preparing to start a few new projects, but mostly working on WIP's. I put command hooks on the wall and hung up my projects so that I could put stitches into 12 projects today. I have spare ribs, carrots and potatoes in the crock pot for supper, so I have the whole day to stitch...I'm so excited! You can pop over to my Youtube channel to see what I plan to stitch today.

Are you ending 2023 with some hand stitching? We love to know what you're working on so tell us in the comments and/or link up your blog post below.


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

19 comments:

CathieJ said...

Oh, I like your variation of the 12 x 12 project. I think I may have to try that also. I wonder if I have 12 projects in progress....of course I do. I look forward to seeing what you are working on today. Happy New Year!

The Cozy Quilter said...

What a fun way to kick off the new year! I will be hand stitching a replacement binding on my daughter’s quilt. Then, maybe some knitting…. Your projects look very organized! Have a great stitching day! Happy New Year!

Sarah said...

Wow! I certainly don't need to start 12 new projects, although lets be honest you wouldn't have to twist my arm too much to join in! I think you've got the right idea. Happy stitching, happy new year and thanks for being a great host!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Working on 12 projects in 12 hours sounds like a big endeavor! Have fun, and Happy New Year, Kathy!

maggie fellow said...

I don't dare start 12 new cross stitch projects but good luck to you today

Linda said...

That is a lot of new projects to start all at once, juggling a few at a time seems enough for me. Wishing you many happy stitching days in 2024.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Happy New Year to you Kathy thanks for the link up each week

Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

I've been having issues with my left hand off and on since last summer, so marathon stitching is not for me. I WILL be trying to finish a couple of projects today, though. Machine sewing, which shouldn't stress my hand much.

I've enjoyed watching your adventures with needlework. Hope your #NYE12x12 is successful!

Kate said...

What a fun way to end 2023 and start 2024. No hand stitching for me, but I'm hoping to make some progress on the BH mystery. Have a relaxing end to this year and start to next.

Angela said...

I like your idea of working on existing projects. That is very clever!

Karrin Hurd said...

What a fun thing to do today, and great idea to work on existing projects too. Happy New Year Kathy!

Deb said...

Great idea to work on past projects it's a great way to start off stitching in 2024 Happy New Year!

Deb said...

Happy New Year and Happy Stitching

Kim said...

Stitching 12 new cross stitches throughout the day sounds like fun. The day will certainly whizz by. Happy New Year, Kathy. Thank you for hosting Slow Sunday Stitching through 2023. It is always fun to link up.

linda said...

I hope you enjoyed your stitching today, it sounds like a fun idea, thank you for hosting this great party throughout the year, wishing you a happy and creative New Year! 😊

Angie said...

Kathy - I am joining your linky party for the first time! I hope to do so periodically throughout 2024, but I am not sure I am ready to sign up for 12 new projects! I thought the seven I completed in 2023 was a lot! Happy New Year to you, and thanks for hosting!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Oooh that sounds like a fun event . I enjoy each and every stitch, Kathy and I wish you a wonderful and blessed New Year. Hugs.

Deanna W said...

Yeah me, snuck in a post just in time. Happy New Year friend, look forward to seeing you this year!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Oh my! Just starting a new block is a lot with all I already have going on. I already have about a dozen new projects that need to be started this year (due dates). First, I need to finish a few and get them out of the way. Have fun with your floss.