Monday, August 21, 2023

Design Wall Monday

Last week I treated myself to a little getaway with my sister. We took a class at Cherished Pieces to make bargello table runners. 

I took Elsie to the class and even though she is now 72 years old she did a great job sewing all the strips and seams. I put a piece of masking tape to the right of the needle to help with the 1/4" seam accuracy and it worked perfectly. I did notice that her wiring is a little crumbly and needs replacing, so I will look into that some day.

I bought a Christmas kit and enjoyed just showing up to the class with everything precut for me! Here are my labelled columns.


Here is my sister working on her project. She brought strips from home in blues and browns to match her home decor. I think it's looking great!






Here is my pieced runner on the design wall beside the Evergreen mystery that I posted about last week. 



You'd think it's Christmas time around here with all these festive projects on the go. But nothing is actually finished, so I must get motivated to do some quilting and finishing.


On the way home from the class, we saw a gorgeous field of sunflowers and I couldn't resist stopping for a photo. This whole day  made me ridiculously happy - sister time, a quilting class, and sunflowers - what could be better?!?

Linking up to Design Wall Monday over at Judy's

15 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

nice projects and lovely photo of you and your sister...

The Cozy Quilter said...

Sounds like a wonderful day! You have lots of time before Christmas to get your festive projects finished!

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your Christmas table runner is very pretty! It's so nice to have seasonal things ready to be used when that season comes around, happy stitching!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Great projects, and lovely photo of you and your sister.

Vicki in MN said...

Both of the bargello runners are looking great! I have only done one, but it was fun to see the design emerge.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

family resemblance for sure. Great to have sister time and neat projects

Sara said...

Some wonderful sister time! Good for you! Love those Bargello runners.

LA Paylor said...

awe, you and your sis look so alike! I copied the evergreen patterns but haven't started. I like your color choices, and that runner fits right in with the tree block.
LeeAnna

Janet O. said...

What a fun time you had with your sister. I think I would have known she was your sister even if I had seen her somewhere besides on your blog. :)
Love the bargello table runner.
Oh, and I noticed Peggy's Cove on your sister's t-shirt. I will be going there in a couple of weeks. Have you been there? We are cruising out of Quebec, and that is one of our stops along the way to Boston.

MissPat said...

Easy to see you two are sisters. Nice that you could attend the class together. I made a table runner similar to that one many years ago. It was put together quick-as-you-go style and self-bound using the backing fabric. I still use it, but had to replace the binding last year because it had faded.
Pat

Jenny said...

What could be better indeed! A lovely sister, a d a great day stiching together. You've made a great start on your Christmas things.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Oh how lovely to share this hobby with your sister. It sounds like the most amazing day and lots of cute projects in the works.

Kate said...

How fun to spend the day with your sister making quilts. Love the photo with the sunflowers!

Terri in BC said...

So fun to see Christmas projects already. I found the best place to buy Featherweight supplies and replacements is the Singer Featherweight shop. https://singer-featherweight.com/ A replacement cord is only $15.95USD and is really easy to change out your foot controller with it.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

You and your sister look very much alike. Sweet! Yes, get that wiring checked. You don't want to 'spark' something.