Sunday, January 29, 2023

Slow Sunday Stitching

Welcome to the hand stitching tribe! I just love Sunday mornings with my hand stitching friends! The link ups are so wonderful - I always see such a great variety of projects, techniques, and colours. Delicious!

I have a little hand stitching finish to share this week! 

This is a variation of Melisa's Family Portrait. I took it outside on a snowy afternoon to get a photo. 
I hand quilted in white thread around the snowfigures and around the edge of the block. And quilted one line in blue thread in the border.  I just love it! 💙 Thank you for the design Melisa! 

Finished size: 8" x 9"

If you would like to make your own version, you can download this free pattern (and many others) on Melisa's blog Pinker n Punkin Quilting and Stitching

I also had a mending day this week where I sewed a button on my son's coat, re-hemmed a blouse for my Mom (it was too long to wear under her sweater) and did some repairs on my 2 favourite winter gloves (sewed the bow back on, and secured the buttons which were almost falling off).

I know I should be trying to finish my son's Christmas/Birthday stitching project, but I just needed a break from that. So I turned my attention to my oldest cross stitch project and worked on the words at the bottom of the design. It turns out I really enjoy this kind of stitching!

The only thing left to do on this is to finish the grass area. I feel renewed love for this project and a desire to finish it into a pillow for my Mom for her April birthday. 

What are your hands creating this week? Please link up your photo, instagram or blog post below.


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

15 comments:

Kim said...

Your 'oldest cross stitch' pretty is a sweet design. Your stitching is looking wonderful, and how lovely it will look made up into a pillow for your mum. The family portrait of snowmen is adorable. It looks right at home photographed in your wintry landscape.

Ivani said...

Your Family Portrait is just so cute, as it can be, Kathy. I like how you use the colors and it is for sure a beauty and you found the perfect spot for a picture. Your mother will love her pillow, it is a beautiful cross stitch project saved from the Ufos pile. Happy stitching!

Sarah said...

It's so great when you fall in love with a past project! Looks like the end is in sight too.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

have fun with your mending

stitchingirlblog.wordpress.com said...

The little snowman is so cute!! I really like the subtle way you have chosen to quilt the square.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I always enjoy seeing your slow stitching, Kathy. How neat to finish that cross stitch piece with a fabulous idea for it. Stitching letters is very satisfying, one of the reasons I love alphabets on samplers.

Karrin Hurd said...

Great finish and mending projects. The cross stitch will make a lovely present for your mom. Happy stitching!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Family Portrait is lovely! I love the colors you used for it, including the border. Enjoy your stitching today, Kathy!

loulee said...

What a lovely cross stitch design. Cross stitch seems to be my go to at the moment too.

CathieJ said...

I love that cross-stitch. It will make a pretty pillow. I really like your snow man family. Mending is so satisfying, but annoying alos. Enjoy all of your stitching!

Michelle said...

Your snowman family is so cute! While clothing repairs aren’t as fun, they are so necessary. So nice to have new excitement for an older project.

Jeanna said...

Your snow family embroidery is so cute and I love your oldest cross stitch project. Your stitches are beautiful. Thank you for hosting Slow Sunday Stitching.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Cute snowman mini. I've been burying threads after some machine quilting.

AnnieO said...

Congrats on taking care of the little things! It is always so satisfying to progress on old projects and quick mends.

The Cozy Quilter said...

That is a very happy snow family! Great finish! I also did some mending this past week…fixed a hole in a pocket of my husband’s pants. I’m off for a walk now and then plan on spending the day working on machine quilting a wedding gift.