Sunday, July 25, 2021

Slow Stitching Sunday

Welcome to the weekly hand stitching party! Here we brag about our slowness, and take pride in the art of relaxing, breathing deeply, and creating projects over long periods of time. We believe in the health benefits of relaxation, so we want to slow down,  and enjoy taking a few stitches here and there.

I will be hand stitching a binding today. This is my July placemat and I'll write a blog post about it when it's finished. I love the pretty floral backing fabric. 


Some slow progress is also being made on my quilt repair project. 

After reading the slow stitching blogs last week I decided to try a back basting applique  technique and I'm loving it! I pin a large patch over the hole, turn the quilt over and from the right side of the quilt I make a line of black stitches around the outside of the hole. Then I turn the quilt over to the back side and needle turn the edge of the patch just beside the black stitches. I trim the patch as I go. It's working out great, so thank you for the ideas.

What are you hand stitching today? We hope you will link up your blog post and share your slow progress with us.

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

14 comments:

Kim said...

That is a neat way to repair a quilt. Love the gorgeous floral fabric on the placemat. Enjoy stitching the binding.

Ivani said...

Beautiful floral fabric for your month placemat. Stitching the binding is so relaxing as exciting. Happy Sunday, Kathy. Happy stitching.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's a beautiful backing for this month's placemat! Enjoy stitching the binding - that's one of my favorite things to stitch.

Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

Stitching down the binding is my favorite step! I love the handwork. Good luck with the repair.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Hand sewing the binding is such fun! Do I recognize the fabrics on the front of the placemat??? Happy slow stitching day to you!

Sarah said...

That sounds like a good way to repair the dog chewed hole!

CathieJ said...

That is a wonderful way to make that repair. It is looking good.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

I am so intrigued by your repair work. I have some repairs on a quilt that needs to be done too. Thank you so much for sharing. Have a great day

Sherrie said...

Hi Kathy,
Love the backing on the quilt your
binding..have a great day!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Good luck with those quilt repairs. I'll be doing some hand (and machine) stitching on 2 dragons today. Hopefully I'll finally finish them.

Miaismine said...

Yes! That technique seems to be working quite well! Isn't it wonderful how we all learn from each other!

R's Rue said...

I love when we can teach one another and be willing to learn. Happy Monday.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Kathy, that sounds like a great idea for the repair. I'll have to fix one in the fall for a friend, so I'll keep that in mind. I think that the hardest thing will be to find some fabric but once I get the quilt, I'll know more. I keep missing your link up - maybe next week. Take care.

Kate said...

That is a very pretty floral on the back. Good luck with your patching project.