Saturday, October 31, 2020

October Mini Finish

Most of my October accomplishments occurred  because I cleaned the quilting room at the beginning of the month. New windows were installed, so space had to be made for the workers to walk through. It's amazing the treasures that were (re) discovered!


I found two 3" finished blocks and lots of strips and couldn't wait to sit down and sew more blocks. Sewing the blocks together was the challenging part and lots of pins were required. 



If you haven't made anything yet with 1" strips, this is what it looks like from the back. It's all seam allowances, which I press open to try to get it to lay flatter.




While I was sewing the 9 blocks together, I decided to turn it into a pillow. I made the Peace  block to go on the other side of the pillow, and bordered both blocks with the same batik fabric.


I machine quilted both blocks with just a piece of batting underneath. I quilted random leaves around the Peace block. This is how it looks from the back.


There are 225 1" squares in the mini quilt which finish at .5". I was really proud of that piecing, and think that the large print border and feather quilting takes attention away from the centre piecing. That's okay... I still love my finished pillow!

This is where my new pillow lives - in my reading corner with the library book I am enjoying and the beautiful shawl my friend Louise made for me. 

Hop over to The Constant Quilter to see the other mini quilt projects made this month.

8 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

Beautiful! I can't imagine working with all those tiny pieces!

Janet O. said...

I don't think anything can take away from your incredibly pieced center!! Beautiful, Kathy!

loulee said...

What an amazing finish.

Jackie J said...

Your pillow looks great.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Wow, just wow. Your piecing is amazing and the finished result is just so lovely. I got my husband that book for Christmas last year.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Those pieces are crazy tiny! Great pillow!

Deanna W said...

Really 1" squares...who does that!?!? haha we do!!!Your pillow looks great on your reading chair.

Kyle said...

Love. Love your October mini. Those tiny squares with the batik border are a perfect combo. The beautiful quilting just sets everything together.