Monday, October 19, 2020

Design Wall Monday

On the design wall today is a finished quilt top! This is a mystery project that my local quilt guild hosted to encourage the members to keep sewing over the summer. One of the best things about this quilt is that it is completely made from stash scraps. I am so delighted with it! 

We had lots of practice with adding borders in constructing this medallion quilt. It's basically a star block with 9 borders! I always measure my quilt top through the middle and at the edges before attaching the next border. If you're lucky (and cutting and sewing accurately!) all measurements will be the same. I measure the strip and mark it with a pin, cut the edge straight with a rotary cutter and ruler, and then attach the border strip to the quilt top using a lot of pins. The more variance there is in the measurements between the border strip and the quilt top, the more pins I use!

I had fun taking photos of the quilt top outside on a lovely fall day. AND do you see the dandelion? One brave, lonely, yellow spring flower has somehow survived to the fall!

I love the border fabrics I used up on this project. There are 13 pieces in the green border and 15 pieces in the last black border. Some of the black strips were leftovers from the backing of Angel Solstice finished in 2014... these scraps have been waiting a long time to jump into a quilt!

Can you see that most of the pretty leaves have fallen from the backyard tree? Now it's time for raking leaves and machine quilting!

At the end of the mystery project we were told that this is a pattern by Robert Kaufmann and if you want to make one, the free pattern is called Gazebo Medallion (click on the link to get the pattern).

Linking to Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Oh Scrap!

15 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Great job on your mystery quilt. I love that you were able to use up lots of scraps to make it. I have done some raking but our big maple tree is still holding on to most of its leaves so there will be more raking to do. Today will be a good day to stay inside and sew.

Susie Q said...

about that dandelion...... it's the second wave..... lol

works4me said...

It is lovely. Thank you for sharing.

hlop3 said...

Your quilt is beautiful! I'm I confused on the information regarding measuring to add the next border. Could you go into more detail about making the border the right length one you have measured your Center block in three places, both sides and middle. You talk about extra pinning if they're not the same size...... I'm confused!

Quilter Kathy said...

Regarding the above question...the sides/edges of a quilt rarely measure the same as the middle. I usually cut the borders whatever length the pattern says they should be and hope that they will fit my quilt's measurements. If the pattern says "cut border strip to 57" but my quilt edge measures 58", that will require a lot of pins to ease in the extra inch of fabric of the quilt top.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Kathy, that's so pretty! I love the fun colors you used - perfect for either fall or spring!

MissPat said...

Medallion quilts usually are square and I see that the pattern on the Robert Kaufman website is square because the outer stars are borders on all four sides. Did you choose to leave off the stars on the side or was that part of the mystery directions? I like the rectangular shape.
Pat

Deanna W said...

Well done and great use of scraps...whoever gets this one will love it!!

Flickenstichlerin said...

Very pretty, love your mystery top. Lovely colors and design.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I usually take three measurements - center and 6" in from each side - and then use the medium for my size cut need for outside borders. But I would rather ease a border than have a wave. This is very pretty and good on you in using up so many fabrics that were 'waiting' their turn.

loulee said...

What a lovely quilt top. And as you say, even better as it is all made from scraps. Enjoy quilting it.
The fall colours in your garden are beautiful.

ButterZ said...

This quilt looks so lovely

Turid said...

So nice to use fabrics from your stash. And with so many beautiful fabrics, your quilt is great. I love those greens.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

The quilt is great. Would your guild considering sharing the pattern (even for a fee) with another guild? My tiny guild makes lots of charity quilts, and that would help them make lots more charity quilts.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Oops! Re-reading the post, I saw the link to the pattern. Thanks.