Sunday, October 18, 2020

Slow Sunday Stitching

Welcome to the weekly hand stitching party! 

It has been a spectacular fall here in Southern Ontario with a display of colour like I can't ever remember. I have taken many photos to enjoy over the winter to remember these beautiful sunny days.

Last weekend I took a class with Sujata Shah of The Root Connection

My Kawandi quilt was inspired by the beautiful fall colours. It was my first online quilting class and I really enjoyed it. 

This kind of quilt making is all by hand and I loved that about it! I didn't have the right needle, but I made it work for the class. You can see that my first row of stitches (which goes through many layers of fabrics) was much bigger than my second row.

Here is the corner of the quilt with the "fula". The Siddi quilt is considered naked without them, so there's my version of a fula. You can see that my stitches are starting to look a little less like they were made by a drunken sailor!

It made me feel like my old (pre-2020) self again seeing beautiful quilts, learning something new, hearing about Siddi quilt makers, and doing some hand stitches together with other women around the world. 

Leave a comment and/or link up your blog post and share what you are hand stitching today. Then make yourself a cup of tea or coffee to enjoy while visiting the blog links and being inspired by what other people are creating with their own two hands.

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

21 comments:

Jenny said...

Many thanks for hosting the Slow Stitching linky party for us all to enjoy. Your latest hand project looks rather interesting, I have not come across this style of stitching before.

Kim said...

Your Siddi stitching is lovely in those autumnal colours. How wonderful to get the opportunity to take an on-line course with other like-minded people. The trees in your little corner of the world are breathtaking in their autumnal hues.

Kate said...

Beautiful fall photo. The leaves are just starting to change here. Enjoy your hand stitching on your new project. Sounds like the class gave you a much needed lift. Fingers crossed that things get much better in 2021.

CathieJ said...

What a beautiful fall photo. You new quilt is pretty. It is so nice to learn a new technique.

Deanna W said...

I was up early and posting and still can't be the first on the list...oh well...not the last!! Have a great day Kathy!!

Julierose said...

The choice of colors in your Siddi quilt is so lovely. Glad you enjoyed your class...that is a fascinating way to make a quilt--
I enjoyed her youtube video on that process with Alex Andersen...

My own hand stitches always seem to improve as I go along--
I often make a little "starter" throw away to begin stitching before I work on the project--that helps a lot..[then I use it to test out machine applique widths for my zig zagging..]

I will be looking forward to seeing how this one comes together..
hugs, Julierose

Denise :) said...

I'd never heard of a Siddi quilt before ... but I have to admit that I'm fascinated by what I see! What inspired you to take the class? I do like the style of quilting! I'm now going to have to search Siddi and fula!! Your fall color is beautiful! We're still mostly green, but we've had a snap of much cooler air, so I'm hoping we'll see changes soon! Enjoy your day of slow stitching! :)

The Cozy Quilter said...

Hand stitching always helps me to forget the worries of the world and I’m glad to see that your new hand stitching project is having the same effect for you. I had not heard of Siddi quilting before. I will be watching your progress with interest.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh now that's a new to me method. Seems like you work backwards? Pretty colors and lovely stitches too!

Deb A said...

That looks like an interesting class you took! So fun to learn and try new techniques.

Angela said...

Gorgeous fall photo!

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

That is great you were able to take a class. I can't wait to see how the quilt turns out.

Sarah said...

I really like the look of your latest project. Im going to have to google it to find out more. That first row of hand stitching is always the most difficult too! Your autumn colours look beautiful as well. Have a great day.

Flickenstichlerin said...

Your new project looks very interesting, different technique.

Karrin Hurd said...

I've never had those quilts, and your colors are beautiful, as are the trees! Hope you have a great stitching day!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's such a beautiful tree! Your Kawandi quilt looks interesting and fun to stitch on - glad you enjoyed the class so much. Have a great Sunday, Kathy!

Turid said...

Such an interesting class you took. Hope to see this quilt finished soon.

Caryl @ cinnamon holiday workshop said...

What a great idea for your Kawandi in fall colors! Love it!! I am on my second one and they are so fun to make! I didn't put fula on the corners of mine. My stitches change in size depending on when and where I am working on it and the lines don't always go straight. I like the idea of not being perfect...........it makes it more relaxing to do!!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Kathy, it sounds like you had a wonderful class. It's really good to engage and learn, even if it's not in person.

Gilberto Berríos said...

Beautiful project. I love the colors and stitching. And I suppose from the photos that you just add squares or rectangles one by one from the outside in. Am I right? I'll Google Kawandi, Siddi, and fula. In the meantime, I hope you finished your project already. You must have had so much fun!

Henry Crockett Wickham said...

This is perfect! Can I ask what your base fabric is? What will the back look like in the end?