Tuesday, September 29, 2020

September UFO

My UFO of the month is called Home Grown. It is one of Nancy Halvorsen's wonderful patterns, and it was made from a kit by Cherished Pieces. I just can't say enough about how wonderful the kit was. I don't usually sew quilts from kits but I fell in love with this one. It was beautifully organized, and even though I made several cutting errors, there was plenty of fabric to not have to worry about having enough. If you've ever made a quilt from a bad kit, you will know exactly what I'm talking about!

The machine quilting was so much fun. Quilting with all the colours is like being in kindergarten again and painting with ALL the colours. Why use a neutral thread when you can use yellow, aqua, salmon, and navy?!? So fun! I free motion stitched around most of the flowers with a coordinating thread colour. You can read more about the quilting here.

In the border I quilted a free motion feather design using white thread on the solid white border and blue thread on the outside print. It's such a was fun and fast way to quilt a border. See the free motion foot? It's 25 years old - the same age as my sewing machine and even though I have acquired several new feet over the years, it's still my "go to"!



I love how the quilting looks from the back too.
This photo shows the feather design on the border quilt well. 

Finished Size: 41.5" x 52"



It was a windy day when I finished the quilt and tried to get some photos. I love this quilt just as much as I did when I saw the sample in the quilt store window!  I will be giving this quilt to my sister for her 50th birthday and I hope she will enjoy having it in her home.


If you would like to have my copy of the Home Grown book that this pattern is in, just leave a comment and I'll draw a name and mail it to the winner. It's such a lovely book, but I know I will never make any of the other patterns so it should go to live with someone who might! I did a quick search and it looks like you can still get the panel for this pattern at several shops.

Linking up to One Monthly Goal and Finished or Not Friday.

27 comments:

Frog Quilter said...

Love the home grown quilt. You did a fabulous job of finishing it. Kudos to you!

Cathy B. said...

Beautiful! I think we can all relate to using our tried & true older tools. Love my Singer 401 and haven't upgraded yet!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

That turned out beautifully. Very effective way to use panels.

Brenda said...

I admire that you got a ufo done!! I'm trying to work on mine but I keep starting new projects. I love the quilting and colors on this quilt!
hulseybg at gmail dot com

Unknown said...

You have inspired me! I have this fabric sitting in a drawer. No idea how long it has been there. Haha! Probably since the book came out. I'm making this quilt in 2020! Thank you.

dianne said...

i love this one - art to heart never disappoints, do they?!?

i love it soooo much that i just ordered the panel - like i need another panel right?!?

Sorcha girl said...

Good morning, Kathy.
I've been a fan of Nancy Halvorson's designs for many years and have cross stitched severval. Your quilt is delightful and will make a good gift for your sister.

Rebecca said...

I can see why you enjoyed the colors of this so much.
I would love to play in that garden ...thank you for the chance.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Lovely finish and I agree with 'painting with all the colors'.

priscilla said...

Sweet piece..love the colors! Home Grown looks like a fun project

Deanna W said...

Love Nancy Halvarson's patterns and fabric. You are very generous to share with a lucky winner...hope it is me!!

Deb A said...

Congrats on a great OMG finish for the month. I'm sure your sister is going to love it.

audrey said...

What a sweet quilt finish. Love the positive vibes with this one.:)

Jenny said...

You have done a marvelous job on this quilt, and enjoyed making it too, it seems. Your sister will adore her beautiful gift, I'm sure.

Needled Mom said...

That looks really cute.

Deborah said...

Your quilt is beautiful.

Happy Room Diana said...

This is such a lovely quilt, I would love to make one for my home.

Patty said...

Lovely. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Very Pretty Kathy! Hugs

Nann said...

What fun! And, yes, the quilting looks great from the back as well as from the front.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

ohhh it is beautiful and so so pretty!! YES play with all the colors!! that is the best - and it makes you so happy!

Carol Andrews said...

Kathy your quilt is just too cute, the quilting is wonderful and I’m sure your sister will enjoy such a cheerful gift!

Debbie M said...

I love Nancy Halvorson’s patterns and fabrics!

Mliss said...

Absolutely love house quilts. And what you did with that pattern is amazing :)
So nice of you to share. Thank you.

Sherrie said...

Hi Kathy,
Awesome quilt...love all the pretty
colors in this quilt..have a great
day!

Karrin Hurd said...

Love that quilt! Thanks so much~

Sally Ann said...

love this quilt..thx for the offer!