Monday, November 25, 2019

Embroidery Project Update

This is an update on my embroidery project. These blocks were hand embroidered over the past 2 years, and I finally decided that I needed to stop making more blocks and put them together into a quilt top. This is a Gail Pan pattern from the 2018 "I Stitch Club", which is now called "Send my Love" and is available as a BOM.

I trimmed the blocks, and looked at them on the design wall for a long time.
Finally the inspiration came to border the stitcheries in pastel batiks. I cut some strips and liked where this idea was heading. This terrible photo shows the border strips pinned to the design wall.



Once all the pieces were organized, I pinned them all together and took the pile of blocks to a sewing day with friends. 






I really love this photo of my friends flipping through the stack of blocks, making  comments on each design, and picking their favourites. They are such kind and supportive women, and as we all know... loving friends are necessary for survival!



Lucy my Singer long bed 301 was the machine choice for the sewing outing. She is lightweight to carry and sews like a dream. Lucy and I had a great outing and successfully sewed all these blocks into a quilt top.


I love it!
I don't know how to quilt it yet... the ideas are still percolating. 
Hop over to Small Quilts and see more design wall postings.

29 comments:

Bits of Stitching! said...


So many lovely stitcheries! I would have a hard time choosing a favorite.

Julie in GA said...

Your embroidered pieces are beautiful, and the pastel batiks are the perfect addition!

Laura said...

Super sweet, Kathy! Love it! :)

Louise said...

Such cuuuuuuute blocks! I love them! Bordering them in pastel batiks looks perfect. And yes, supportive friends are VERY important in quilting (and life)! :)

gailss said...

What a sweet top and just think that you will find the perfect quilting for this. Love all the sashing and really a great idea with the pastels around them. Love it!!!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Your vision for the pastel frames is perfect. They look wonderful!

Julierose said...

I love embroidered quilt blocks--I have sent for a set to work on for my 2020 long term project...these are just so pretty...I like that they are portable and small enough to not be intimidating...nice choice for sashings...hugs, Julierose

dortha said...

Beautiful little quilt top. You did great.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I love it too! The blocks are so sweet and the pastel blocks set them off quite nicely.

Gretchen Weaver said...

So pretty! Those borders are perfect. Happy Stitching!

Jackie J said...

It looks amazing. The sashings are perfect!!!

Deanna W said...

It is sooo pretty!! I think it needs a border but that might be difficult to decide about!! Good luck!

MissPat said...

I really like this one. Now don't going burying it in the flimsy closet, not to be seen for years. This one needs a finish.
Pat

AnnieO said...

Yay for your sweet blocks and sweet friends--what a lovely little quilt it will be!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Totally precious and amazing!

Michelle
https://bijoubeadboutique.com

Peggyinno said...

These blocks are so cute. Love the “Sewing” theme on some of them. And the pastel borders are perfect. Looks like you are rolling along getting some of your tops finished! Great work!

Jenny said...

Just gorgeous! The pastels set your embroideries off so nicely.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Kathy - this one is so beautiful - your motivate me to get with the program! Would love to have 2 friends close like you do! Hugs

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Kathy, those blocks really look great surrounded by pastels. It will be a lovely quilt! I'm glad that you were able to find some sewing time with friends.

Nann said...

It's such a soft setting for your lovely handwork. I like my 301, too.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Oh yes--you did an excellent job in pulling these all together--and what cute and lovely stitcheries you made--
thanks for sharing--
luv, di

PatriciaLud said...

This is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing it.

Janet O. said...

Gail Pan's designs are so sweet, and you have truly done them justice!

Tenneh said...

Fabulous! Well done and sure to be a family heirloom. The pastels set of the embroidery colors so well! Looking forward to seeing the final quilted version!

Deb A said...

Wow! That came out wonderful! Love the scrappy pastels to set off the pretty embroidery. Great job.

Sarah said...

Spot on! Those little embroideries surrounded by pastel fabric makes them sing.

Pam said...

I too have a 301!! She has been my workhorse for years. I don't have a long bed - but she is in a cabinet.

Got a walking foot for her this summer as my embroidery/sewing machine died and I have a new to me Babylock - but it is in Florida - be another 3 weeks before we head south for the winter.

Love your embroidery!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Lovely embroidery - and yes, friends are so wonderful.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

You and Lucy made a nice quilt top.